Ruby Bridges

by Manon from Gondecourt in France

124390Ruby Bridges in 1960WikipediaRuby Bridges is an American civil rights activist. She was born on the 8th of September in 1954, in Tylertown, Mississippi. Today she is 63 years old. She lives in New Orleans with her husband and their 4 sons. She is famous because, in 1960, her parents responded to a request from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and volunteered her to participate in the integration of the New Orleans school system. So, she was the first African-American child to desegregate the all-white William Frantz Elementary School in Louisiana during the New Orleans School desegregation crisis, although she was 6 years old. She was one of six black children in New Orleans to pass the test that determined whether they could go to the all-white school. Two of the six decided to stay at their old school but she never gave up. 124440Ruby Bridges by Norman RockwellGoogleRuby and her mother were escorted to school by four marshals. I consider Ruby Bridges a heroine because she never gave up and she was very brave to fight for her values. Thanks to her, we can live in a community where there are no differences between black people and white people. We can travel and trade with other countries. I love discovering different cultures and languages. I love meeting new people. I don't care if the colour of their skin is different from my skin colour.