Ruby Bridges and Jackie Robinson

by Cole from Mill Valley

A hero to me is defined by lots of things but I think a hero is mostly distinguished by courage. It’s a person who will not give up no matter what , and has a high sense of self-esteem. You need to have courage to change or save peoples lives. People who have courage aren't the only heroes in the world. People who influence other’s lives by being a supporting father, for example, can also be heroes. If these heroes never existed, we would be a hateful world of discriminating people.

Jackie Robinson is not a hero to me but I can see how he is a hero to others. If you were an African American boy who had a dream of becoming a baseball player and found out you couldn’t, it would change your life. If after that you found out that Jackie Robinson played baseball, this might encourage you to play so you would look up to him as a hero. Just because he is a hero to me it doesn’t mean that he isn’t a hero to you.

Ruby Bridges isn’t a hero to me to but if she never existed maybe I wouldn’t have as much rights as I do now. Even if she wasn’t my hero she still deserves a lot of credit for what she has done. It takes a lot of courage to go to an all white school when you’re just a little girl. I would be petrified if I was Ruby Bridges. Having people making fun of you and pushing you around and not quitting takes a lot of courage.

Ruby Bridges and Jackie Robinson are very different in there heroic achievements. They both had different ideas of freedom and they will never be forgotten. Even after they have died, their courage and the way they changed peoples’ lives will always stay with us. I think all of humans good deeds have been influenced by heroes that should be remembered forever.