Sacagawea

by Rachel from St. Paul, Minnesota

Sacagawea helped Meriwether Lewis and William Clark explore the West. Without Sacagawea, the Indians would probably have killed Lewis and Clark. Sacagawea talked to the people of other tribs so that they would let them coss their territoy. Sacagawea saved them from many dangers on their trip. In time they got to the Great Waters (the Pacific Ocean). Without Sacagawea, we might not know about some things in the West that we know now.

All of Sacagawea's family were killed in a battle except for her brother. The Minnetaree Indians kidnapped her. Before she helped Lewis and Clark, Sacagawea was sold as a wife to a French fur trader although she did not want to marry him. In the earlier days of her marriage she had a baby boy. Later she got to see her brother, who was chief of the Shoshone Tribe. A few months before Sacajawea died of a fever, she had a baby girl also.

Sacajawea - A really good site about her life
Sacajawea captive, Indian Interpreter, Great American Legend:Her Life and death - A really detailed site--it is so cool.
Sacajawea - Cool things about her life and pictures.