Sacajawea

by Claire from Vermont

Sacajawea with Lewis and Clark (http://enzi.senate.gov/prsaca.htm)

My Hero, Sacajawea(C.)1794 -1812

I think that a typical American hero should be courageous, determined, and resourceful. A hero is someone who shows her country that she can overcome anything. Someone who did was Sacajawea. A Shoshone Indian from the Rocky Mountains in Idaho, she confidently completed the great Lewis and Clark Expedition. This was a great journey that took two years, 1804 to 1806. By boat, horseback, and foot, the members of the expedition made their way across the Louisiana Territory, to the Pacific Coast and back. Sacajawea overcame a kidnapping, childbirth while traveling, and a long winter on foot with a restless baby boy on her back.

A famous statue of Sacajawea and Pomp. (To the Pacific with Lewis and Clark)

First, Sacajawea proved herself as a true hero by displaying determination throughout the journey of Lewis and Clark. When she had her first baby, Pomp, during the trip, she was forced by her cruel husband's law to go on. If not, Charbonneau (her husband) might have killed her for disobedience! He treated her horribly. In the winter, she hauled herself and Pomp through raging blizzards, deep snow, and tall, winding mountains. I might have given up by then, but Sacajawea had enough determination to finish the journey. In the beginning, when she was sold as a wife, she tried to respect, and serve Charbonneau.

Next, Sacajawea demonstrated bravery so many times in her life. When she was twelve, Hidatsa Indians captured her and sold her as a wife to a French trader named Charbonneau. It would take a lot of courage to live through that at such a young age. She also demonstrated bravery when she had to take her baby son on the dangerous trip with Lewis and Clark. If I were his mother, I wouldn’t have had enough courage to stand up to my cruel husband. When their boat was hit by waves, Sacajawea saved many important documents, even though she was close to drowning.

My final example of Sacajawea’s heroism is her resourcefulness during the trip. At the Hidatsa camps where they stopped, she translated for her husband so he could talk with them and make trades. That was very useful when they had to make peace with the Indians. Since she was an Indian, it was much easier to make peace. She also knew a lot about edible berries and roots. She would go and gather them for the men. If it were not for Sacajawea, they might have run out of food. If I were her, I might not have known where to look, but, luckily, she did.

In conclusion, Sacajawea was a real hero. Again, she demonstrated determination, bravery, and resourcefulness. She was an American hero. Even though she was never paid for all of her hard work, she was the most helpful person during the trip. In 1812, Sacajawea died during the birth of her daughter, Lisette, at Fort Manuel. Sacajawea is a wonderful example of a brave, determined, and resourceful Native American woman hero.