Who is Saman Kunan?

Saman Kunan

by Martin Pereira and Miguel Semedo from Lisbon in Portugal

Saman Kunan came from Roi Et. He was a triathlete and was very fond of adventure sports.

He left the Navy in 2006, when he started working at the Suvarnabhumi Airport. As some members of the Navy explained in a tribute text after his death, Saman never lost touch with his colleagues and still continued to participate in some of the activities of the unit where he had been.

The former member of the Thai Navy is described by his colleagues as "talented" and determined.

Even though he was already out of the Navy, he decided to help in the rescue operations of 12 children trapped in a cave in Thailand in 2018, on a voluntary basis.

Before boarding the plane that took him to the scene of the incident in Chiang Rai, Saman recorded a video explaining that he was at the Suvanahabhumi Airport, accompanied by Marine doctors and Sea World divers who have donated much diving equipment. After leaving a supply of oxygen to the 12 children and their soccer coach, trapped in a flooded cave in northern Thailand, the diver drowned.