Barry Sanders

by Sean from Anchorage, Alaska

Barry Sanders being enshrined as a football god (Sports Illustrated)

A hero is someone who inspires people with their skills, kindness, and persistence. Barry Sanders was the greatest of all time. In 1988 he won the Heisman as a member of the Oklahoma State Cowboys. In 1989 he was drafted to the Detroit Lions and amused the world. The records he set will probably never be broken and no one else will probably ever come close to it. Barry Sanders was voted into the hall of fame in 2004.

barry sanders at OSU (google)
barry sanders at OSU (google)

As a child, Barry Sanders faced adversity because he was one of the smallest kids in his school. When he would play football people would choose him last or not at all because of his size. When he was in high school he got very little playing time because of his size but on the 4th game of his senior year he became the starting running back. In high school he doubled as a kick returner and a very fast runnning back. Although he didn't make All-American he still turned a few college's heads. Even with all the doubters in his face, when Barry Sanders said he would make it to the NFL he meant it.

Barry Sanders the GOAT (google)
Barry Sanders the GOAT (google)

In Wichita, Kansas not many footall players are able to say that they will be enshrined into both the college and pro football hall of fame, but with heart and persistance one of the smallest people on his high school football team, Barry Sanders, made it happen. In 1984 Oklahama State received a commitment from the best running back in Kansas, Barry Sanders. Though Barry received offers from many other schools he chose Oklahoma State because they are the only one that believed he could be a running back and not only a kick returner. While attending Oklahoma State he set the all-time NCAA single season record with 2,628 rushing yards, 234 points scored and 39 touchdowns. In 1988 he won the prestigous Heisman Memorial award. He was drafted in 1989.

Barry Sanders making the Vikings look easy (SI.com)

In the 1989 draft Barry Sanders was picked third overall by the Detroit lions. In his rookie season he gained 1470 all-purpose yards which won him the NFC rookie of the year award. He played for 10 years with the Lions and made every pro bowl while he was in the league. He broke a lot of records and was the first to do a lot of things like the first to have 1000 yard seasons in the first ten years of his carreer. His records include Most Games, 100 or more yards rushing in a season, and Most Consecutive Games. He retired early after his tenth season for personal reasons and has not returned since then.

Barry giving autographs for a bunch of children (barrysanders.com)

Barry Sanders donated 10% of his annual paychecks to charities like the Scleroderma Foundation and he also donated his time to volunteer and gave signed balls, jerseys, and helmets to kids. He donated a lot of his things to a lot of different charities. He donated a lot of items also to be included in auctions that benefit children. He also donated a lot to his hometown, places like his high school.