Social Activism Over Selfies: Why Yara Shahidi is a Hero for the 21st Century

by Lili Mckissen from San Diego, California

“There’s a lack of humanity that goes behind policy change—policies that make being a woman a preexisting condition—and it’s because they aren’t thinking about who that affects, they’re thinking theoretically and tax break and money. And money isn’t human, we are human. The goal of my activism is to bring humanity back into humanity.”

In the age of selfies and social media, it is rare to find a teenage girl who dreams of something bigger than the latest iPhone or the perfect date to prom. However, for Yara Shahidi, her days aren’t spent scrolling through Instagram or browsing stores at the mall. Born in Minneapolis, Yara is a first generation black Iranian-American actress. While she’s primarily known for her work in Hollywood, off set, Yara is a modern day activist and advocate for topics such as feminism, civil and human rights, and global education. any imagine superheroes donning capes and colorful suits. Today, real life heroes are people who simply have a compulsive desire to make the world a better place. At the impressive age of 18, Yara Shahidi's ambitious drive to cause a positive change makes her an undeniable hero for the twenty-first century.

Determined and goal-oriented, Yaras ambitious drive is one of the admirable qualities that make her a hero. If being one of the most recognized and distinguished young actresses in the industry isn’t enough, Yara also prides herself on being a humanitarian. The amount of projects and campaigns she's involved with, despite her hectic schedule, is a tribute to how driven she is. “‘I’m filming nine and a half hours a day five days a week, but whenever I have a free moment, I’m talking to the U.N. or working on how to get Yara’s Club launched,’ Ms. Shahidi said, referring to a mentoring program with the Young Women’s Leadership Network. ‘Giving back is not just something you do as an adult’” (nytimes.com), Shahidi explains in a interview with New York Times. Balancing a full time career, while simultaneously managing to  found a philanthropic organization and work with the United Nations on ways to make a global difference, is something most teenagers don’t deal with on a regular basis. Yaras commitment and dedication to critical topics like gender and racial equality is seen through her numerous projects and contributions. If her long list of impressive achievements isn’t enough to showcase her drive, Yara also sets high personal goals for herself, both socially and academically. “She is tutored on the Black-ish set and maintains a 4.6 GPA. She takes AP and honors classes, and loves reading historical fiction and Greek mythology. She’s also a black belt in karate” (likeabossgirls.com). Yara, who is set to attend Harvard in the fall and double major in sociology and African-American studies, applies her high standards and determination to all areas of her life. These unnecessary and exceptional accomplishments prove that Yara strives to go above what is expected of her. Yara's ambitious drive is a quality that is arguably one of the most important traits that make a hero. An exceptional student, creative mind, accomplished actress, and outspoken advocate, Yara's drive and ambition makes her a perfect example of a modern day hero.

Despite her young age and the gender and racial barriers she faces, Shahidi causes positive changes around the world, proving she is a hero. Her work as both an activist and actress has broken down multiple stereotypes surrounding black Americans and the influence of teenage voices."When she’s not on set, she works hard to have a positive impact on the world around her, partnering with educational and anti-bullying organizations, and encouraging young people to get involved with science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. She has worked with UN Women, Saving Our Daughters, Young Women’s Leadership Network, and DoSomething.org, among others in her role as an activist and advocate" (likeabossgirls.com). Shahidis work with these organizations allows her impact the lives of millions around the world. She uses her wide platform to support important topics and causes. The campaigns she is part of are projected around the globe, and with nearly three million followers on her social medias, Yara’s impact is big. The changes she made through her hard work and dedications prove her to be an admirable young hero. A topic close to Shahidi's heart, education, is the foundation for many of her projects. “When she’s not taping “Black-ish,” she is a full-time social activist, inspiring young women to excel academically, volunteering at medical clinics and starting her own mentoring club” (nytimes.com). While Shahidi has found maximal success in her own academic pursuits, she recognizes that not everyone has the opportunities or resources to succeed as she has. One of the main causes she supports is breaking down barriers for young women and aiding them in pursuing careers in STEM. Her hands-on work, volunteering at these medical clinics and speaking face-to-face with this country's future generation, shows how she is already making changes in the world and creating a name for herself. Her own organization, Yara’s Club, is her way of creating a change regarding the current norms for girls in America. "'I am currently spearheading something called Yara’s Club. I am working with the Young Women’s Leadership Schools founded by Ann Rubenstein Tisch and her family. There are 17 schools involved, and what is amazing is that they help support young girls, starting in elementary school and then through college. I plan on working with them on a monthly basis and help create a safe space to talk, whether it is about their hairstyles or our generation’s opinion on a political or social matter. I’m really looking forward to that,'” Yara told Cliche Magazine last year. By working personally with these students, Shahidi is able to aid them in their own academic pursuits, while conjointly inspiring generations of women to follow step. It's not every day 18-year-olds are seen launching their own foundations and speaking up about tricky topics like the ones Shahidi tackles. Yara’s Club is a tribute to the fact that Shahidi is not afraid to be vocal about issues in our society and wants to create a change to help solve these, a factor that establishes her as a hero. As she has accomplished all this at the young age of 18, much more can be expected from her in the future.

Yara Shahidi's ambitious drive and impactful changes prove that not all heroes wear capes. As a voice for the new generation, advocate for gender and civil equality, and a determined self-starter, Shahidi is truly an inspiration to all. She proves that stereotypes are meant to be shattered, and that hard work really does pay off. Her work alongside prominent organizations, social campaigns, and her own mentoring club showcases her voice and projects it to millions. Shahidi’s work ethic, ambitious endeavors, and philanthropic pursuits inspires many to share their own voice with the world. She is the epitome of all traits that make a hero, and will continue to leave her mark on the world.  As an advocate for this generation, and a voice for girls around the world, Yara Shahidi is an exemplary role model, inspiration, and true hero.

Beebe, Lisa. “Yara Shahidi May Play Selfish on Black-Ish, But IRL, She's a Boss to Watch.” Like A Boss Girls, Like a Boss Girls, 21 Jan. 2018, www.likeabossgirls.com/yara-shahidi-may-play-selfish-on-black-ish-but-irl-shes-a-boss-to-watch/

Brown, Keah. “Yara Shahidi Interview.” Digital Fashion Magazine | Free Fashion Magazine | Fashion Magazine Online, Cliche Magazine, 11 Jan. 2016, www.clichemag.com/entertainment-interview/yara-shahidi-interview/

Seligson, Hannah. “'Black-Ish' Star Yara Shahidi Is a Role Model Off-Screen.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 27 Nov. 2015, www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/fashion/black-ish-star-yara-shahidi-is-a-role-model-off-screen.html.

Meet Yara Shahidi: The 17-Year-Old Actress And Activist - Yara Shahidi in an interview with Forbes
Yara Shahidi on Being a Role Model, Attending Harvard, and Continuing Her Activism - The Grown-ish star is just getting started as she finds a way to balance her first year of college on screen and off.