LESSON PLAN

Social Justice Multimedia Resources to Use in the Classroom and for Homeschooling

Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's multimedia resources to use with students. 

Access to Education for All

Armene Modi

By: Amanda Molinaro

Armene Modi provides bicycles to girls in rural Indian villages so they can continue their education.

Pedal=Sight

Produced by:Jacob & Isaac Seigel-Boettner

An Indian girl gains a bicycle, and the will to achieve.

Ten Thousand Girls

Produced by:Adams Sie

Mrs. Viola Vaughn runs "10,000 Girls," a project in Senegal, Africa, which aims to help girls in education and vocational training.

Viola Vaughn

By: Brande from Spokane

Viola Vaughn founded an organization that supports girls working to achieve academic success in Africa.

Educate Girls

Produced by:Skoll Foundation

In India, Educate Girls works to make education accessible to girls, mobilizing communities to help girls achieve their full potential.

Discussion Questions

1.What are the challenges girls in countries like Senegal and India encounter when seeking access to education?

2. How do the lives of girls change if they have the opportunity to go to school and receive an education? 

3. How have the groups featured in these films addressed the challenges to education girls face?

4. Do you know of any other people or organizations working to address issues that may be preventing girls from receiving an education? Who are they? Share their story with MY HERO.

Learning Outcomes

Students will develop critical thinking skills as they discuss the barriers girls around the world face regarding education. They will evaluate obstacles that impact the girls' ability to go to school. Students are encouraged to create an action plan. 

Students watch the MY HERO International Film Festival Winner Words Have Power. This film is about a 10 year old girl who rallied her community to protest the health effects that a local power plant had on their community and succeeded in having the plant close. Lesson plan activities provided by Young Voice for the Planet and organized by grade level are available. 

Words Have Power

Produced by:Lynne Cherry
10-year-old Jaysa rallies the community with her speeches about how the power plant causes asthma and “so much suffering.” When they succeed in shutting down the plant, Jaysa concludes that “words have power.”

Words Have Power, the MY HERO International Film Festival Best in Fest Winning Film Lesson Plan including Links to Young Voices for the Planet Website.

Students Learn About Youth Activists Around the World and Consider the Discussion Questions and Activities

Students read the story about Iqbal Masih, a child from Pakistan who was sold into slavery by his father when he was 4 and escaped slavery at the age of 10. He began speaking internationally and was awarded the Reebok Human Rights Youth Award when he was 12 years old.  

Iqbal Masih

By: Stephanie and Audrey<br> from Forest Hills

Iqbal Masih was a brave advocate for child labor laws in Pakistan.

Iqbal Masih by Sydney from Laguna Beach

Iqbal Masih was a Pakistani Christian boy who became a symbol of abusive child labour in the developing world

Students watch the following film and read the story to learn about Vivienne Harr who, at the age of 8, founded Make a Stand Lemon-Aid to raise funds for organizations that fight child slavery.

Vivienne Harr

By: Sue Glader

Vivienne Harr founded Make a Stand Lemon-aid to raise fund for organizations that fight child slavery.

Vivienne

Producer: Diane Namm

Young Vivienne Harr was deeply affected by the story of children suffering from human trafficking. So she founded Make a Stand Lemon-aid to raise fund for organizations that fight child slavery.

Students read the story about Samantha Smith, a grade school student and peace activist. Then analyze the portrait by Robert Shetterly, noticing the text used in the portrait. 

Samantha Smith

By: Abbie from Taipei

Story about Samantha Smith.

Samantha Smith

Samantha Reed Smith (June 29, 1972 – August 25, 1985) was an American girl who became known as "America's Youngest Ambassador" in the United States and the "Goodwill Ambassador" in the Soviet Union during her short lifetime.

She wrote : "If we could be friends by just getting to know each other better, then what are our countries really arguing about? Nothing could be more important than not having a war if a war could kill everything."

Grade school student and peace activist, (1972 - 1985) Samantha was just 10 years old when she wrote the premier of the Soviet Union to ask him about his intentions for waging war. Yuri Andropov invited her to visit the Soviet Union and the success of her trip launched a 3 year odyssey of traveling the world, advocating for peace. Tragically, she and her father were killed in a plane wreck while returning home after one of their numerous peace missions.

Great for ESL/EFF Students: the Following Stories are Available in Text and Audio so Students Can Listen & Read Along

Bilaal Rajan

By: Sean from Richmond Hill

Bilaal Rajan is the founder of Making Change Now and Canada's child ambassador to UNICEF.

Ruby Nell Bridges

By: Madison

One of the most important heroes in the fight against segregation in America was a six-year-old girl, Ruby Nell Bridges.

Ana Dodson

Ana Dodson formed Peruvian Hearts to provide Peruvian orphans an education.

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. Each of the young people featured have made a positive difference. How are these heroes alike? How are they different?

2. How are these activists examples of how one person can make a difference regardless of his or her age? What issues did you feel a connection to and why?

3. Who are young activists in your own community making a difference? Share their story with MY HERO.

4. What are important issues facing your community or the world that you feel passionate about? What can you do? Create an action plan, get others involved and share your story with MY HERO.

Students Analyze the Hero Art Below

How do each of these artists portray the strength of their social justice hero?

Consider creating a portrait of your hero, or a poster honoring someone working toward a social justice solution to submit to MY HERO.

Desmond Tutu

By: Steph Eberlein, Joe Lindley, Jake Fusilier

Global leader in advocating equality, compassion and justice for all

Pat Humphries

By: Robert Shetterly

Singer Songwriter dedicated to promoting social justice

Nelson Mandela

By: David Basasira

Incorruptible: In his fight for equality among races in South Africa, Nelson Mandela is a hero for generations.

Mother Teresa

By: Michaelle from Laguna Beach

Canonized as a Saint for her work with the victims of extreme poverty

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

How to Organize Your Students' Published Work

Click Here for Information About Organizing Student Work

For Additional Resources and Lesson Plans, Go to the MY HERO Lesson Plan Center

Lesson Plan Center

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Organizer created on 3/27/2020 2:38:48 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 4/22/2020 3:30:52 PM by Laura Nietzer