Stephen Hawking

by Grant from Dublin, Ohio in United States

To me a hero means someone who perseveres even in the hardest of times. A hero means someone who in spite of the obstacles keeps going to get the job done. The best characteristics of a hero are persistence, kindness, and brilliance, and that is exactly what Stephen Hawking has.

Stephen Hawking was born on January 8, 1942, in Oxford, England. He went to St. Alban’s School and then the University College, Oxford in 1952. In 1962 he went to the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at the University of Cambridge, because he needed to do some investigation on cosmology, which later resulted in him getting the Adam’s Prize. Then after in 1968, he moved to the Institute of Astronomy and then back to DAMTP, then over the next few years he published a book, was elected a fellow of the Royal Society, became a reader in Gravitational Physics for DAMTP, then professor of Gravitational Physics, and kept that job for 30 years.