Steve Irwin

by Bryce Modugno from San Diego, California in United States

Conservation through exciting education

132328Filming in South Queensland, AustraliaBy Bernard DUPONT from FRANCE - The Late " Crocodile Hunter " Steve Irwin after playing with Dingos, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=40796274“Crikey!” That's the sound of inspiration and hope echoing across the world. Steve Irwin, a conservationist from Australia, used that catchphrase throughout his life of teaching the world about wildlife surrounding us. Steve grew up around reptiles because of his father, who had opened a small park when Steve was a child. Steve admired reptiles from a young age, and in April of 1973, he opened the Australian Zoo to educate others about reptiles (Australian Zoo). He first came into the spotlight when his television show “Crocodile Hunter” aired. It first aired in 1992 and was an immediate hit all around the world ("Steve Irwin." Gale). Tens of millions of viewers from around the globe were inspired by his quirky behavior and giving nature. His work had an effect on many people’s hearts and changed the world for the better. Steve Irwin is an inspiration to millions of people worldwide because of his caring and giving nature.

Steve’s overall view on wildlife shows his caring nature, since he put so much work and attention into taking care of and working on conservation. Steve cared greatly about the environment, which is why he became a conservationist. He stated, “I’ve been put on this planet to protect wildlife and wilderness area, which in essence is going to help humanity. I want to have the purest oceans, I want to be able to drink water straight outta that creek, I wanna stop the ozone layer, I want to save the world” (Heart of Champions). He cares so much about the environment that he is willing to change as much of the world as he can by himself. Steve wished to save the world; this showed his caring character. His care is shown through his zoo: “Steve and Terri worked tirelessly to improve and expand the wildlife park. Re-naming it 'Australia Zoo' in 1998, their vision for the world's best zoo was coming to fruition. Steve's message of "conservation through exciting education is achieved everyday within the zoo” (Australian Zoo). Steve cared about the wilderness and showed this with his work through the zoo. He worked endlessly, stemming from his childhood, on his zoo, which spreads the knowledge of conservation. Steve showed his caring attributes through his donations and efforts into caring for the environment.

132322Steve Irwin feeding a crocodile during one of his shows in the Australian ZooRichard Giles [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)]Steve received donations and was paid millions throughout his years of conservation work and spent most of it on saving wildlife, making him giving. Steve invested much time and money into wildlife and conservation. Steve had once said during an interview with 60 Minutes that “y'know money? Money’s great. I can't get enough money, and y’know what I’m gonna do with it? I’m gonna buy wilderness areas with it. Every single cent I get goes straight into conservation, and guess what Charles, I don’t give a rip whose money it is mate. I'll use it and I'll spend it on buying land” (Heart of Champions). Those inspired by Steve Irwin donated money to his organization, which he used to buy land. He wanted to save the land and wildlife within from deforestation and outside threats. Even though the money can be from donations, it was still his to choose what he did with it. He chose to invest most of his money into saving the environment, showing how charitable and caring he was. When Steve was young, he had given his time (and possibly life) to helping with wildlife conservation. Some crocodiles in Australia were protected, and the government needed people to help relocate and remove crocodiles from a certain area. Steve was up to the task, since “as a young adult, he volunteered for the Queensland Government's crocodile relocation program. In this position, he lived alone in the mosquito-infested rivers and creeks of North Queensland, catching crocodiles by hand” ("Steve Irwin." Gale). Catching crocodiles at a young age, risking his life, and living alone was a heroic and giving act. He was not receiving pay, as this was a volunteer job, so he did it purely out of the kindness of his heart and his love for reptiles. He was receiving nothing in return but gave the crocodiles a better chance at life. Steve Irwin had personally invested a lot and received little. What he did receive was put right back into the environment, a display of charitable nature.

Steve Irwin cares greatly about the environment and helps by giving his money back to the wilderness. Steve Irwin invested his entire life into the environment. He cared about the environment in a way not many others could. He volunteered, raised money, and gave his time and money into wildlife conservation. It was his life all the way until he died. Mr. O’shea, a British reptile expert, once said, “A lot of people who now want to study biology and work with animals may not have considered it before they watched him on television” (Steve Irwin: The Incredible Story). Steve spent a great deal spreading the word of conservation. Millions of people from around the world, many as young children, watched him catch crocodiles and wonder at the world around him. He taught a countless number of people what wilderness was, and how to treat it. Steve inspired his audience to care and give back to the world they lived in. Steve inspired me to be more caring and outgoing. His personality on screen, what he taught through his actions and words, inspired me to care more about the environment and those around me. When hearing the man who trademarked “Crikey!”, think of what he based his entire life around, being kind and giving like the Crocodile Hunter.

Australian Zoo. “STEVE IRWIN.” Events Calendar Web, Australia Zoo,

www.australiazoo.com.au/about-us/the-irwins/steve/.

Heart Of Champions. “The Legend Of Steve Irwin.” YouTube, YouTube, 10 May 2018,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmKw_OH00Zg.

"Steve Irwin." Gale Biography in Context, Gale, 1999. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1650000608/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=fd68d213. Accessed 21 Mar. 2019.

Steve Irwin: The Incredible Story of the Wildlife Warrior.” The Independent, Independent Digital

News and Media, 10 Mar. 2014, www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/steve-irwin-the-incredible-story-of-the-wildlife-warrior-414731.html.

Australian Zoo - Information on the Irwin family.
The Crocodile Hunter: A Legacy of Conservation - Information about Steve Irwin
Wildlife Warriors - Link to Steve Irwin's conservation foundation.