Teacher in Space: Christa McAuliffe and the Challenger Legacy

By Colin Burgess, Grace George Corrigan

Publisher: Bison Bks Corp; (December 2000)
ISBN: 0803261829
MY HERO recommends this book to readers of all age groups.
From the Publisher
Christa McAuliffe's name is deeply entrenched in American history as the teacher who died when the Challenger exploded in January 1986. Innovative and devoted to her profession, Christa brought to her own life and to her students the joy and excitement of learning, exploration, and accomplishment. Her integrity and love of life endeared her to people both before and during her NASA training. Honest, direct, and outspoken, she did not hesitate to speak out on behalf of the constituency she felt she had been selected to represent: American public schoolteachers and the children in their classrooms. It is important to know that Christa's dreams did not die with her. Following the disaster many foundations, institutions, and learning centers were set up to honor the Challenger crew. Craters on the moon and even asteroids have been named in their memory. Teacher in Space explores and celebrates Christa's life and legacy and suggests that her goals of involving and educating children are being fulfilled even today.

Colin Burgess is a customer service manager with Qantas Airlines and the author of a number of books on space flight, including Oceans to Orbit: The Story of Australia's First Man in Space, Dr. Paul Scully-Power. He lives in New South Wales, Australia. Grace George Corrigan makes her home in Framingham, Massachusetts. She continues to speak publicly to perpetuate Christa McAuliffe's commitment to American education.

User Reviews:
V. Paquette | 8/15/2009 3:18 PM
I have not read this book, but know Grace Corrigan well and have heard her speak many times.  She is as dedicated to teachers as Christa was. She is a hero in her own right!!!
Casey | 2/26/2006 12:36 AM
This was a really good book for research! I also enjoyed the facts!

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews