Angels

Terry Fox

by Joel MacQueen

Terry Fox was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and raised in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia. An active teenager involved in many sports, Terry was only 18 years old when he was diagnosed with osteogenic sarcoma (bone cancer) and forced to have his right leg amputated, six inches above the knee in 1977. While in the hospital, Terry was so overcome by the suffering of other cancer patients that he decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. He would call his journey the Marathon of Hope. After 18 months and running over 5,000 kilometres (3,107 miles) to prepare, Terry started his run in St. John’s, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980. It was difficult for him to get attention in the beginning, but the news of his run soon spread and the money collected along his route began to mount. He ran 42 kilometres (26 miles) a day through Canada's Atlantic provinces, Quebec and Ontario. It was a journey that Canadians never forgot. However, on September 1st, after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 miles), Terry was forced to stop running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario because cancer had appeared in his lungs. An entire nation was stunned and saddened. Terry passed away on June 28, 1981 at age 22. The heroic Canadian was gone, but his legacy was just beginning. To date, more than $360 million has been raised worldwide for cancer research in Terry's name through the annual Terry Fox Run, held across Canada and around the world.

The first trait that I admire about Terry Fox is that he was a very helpful man. He was helpful to many people in many ways. He was most helpful to other people with cancer. He helped lift up their spirits. He made them realize the big chance they had of fighting off cancer. He was also helpful in the way that he raised money for cancer research by trying to run across Canada. He didn’t want anyone else getting hurt. Terry said himself that “somewhere the hurting must stop.”

The second trait is that Terry Fox was a very brave man to do what he did. He was brave enough to try and run across Canada. He wanted to do something that he believed in. He said “How many people ever get a chance to do something that they believe in.” He wanted to run and raise money for the cancer research, not just for himself, but for everybody with the illness. Terry wanted to show and tell the world what he was doing. He wanted this sickness to stop!

The third trait of Terry Fox is that he was not perfect. While fighting with cancer he had to have one of his legs amputated. Even with this he had the courage, desire, and determination to run and raise money for cancer research. He gave his best and proved a lot. He ran with his cancer until it got to the worst point. His cancer spread into his lungs. Terry Fox had to stop running the Marathon of Hope.

In the end there is no doubt in anybody’s mind that Terry Fox is a true hero. He is a hero to a lot of people in the world. During his run, the Marathon of Hope, he changed a lot of people’s lives. He raised a lot of money for cancer research. I don’t know of anybody who would even try to do what Terry did. To this day, every year we have an annual Terry Fox Run to remember this amazing man.