The Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader of the Tibetan people and was exiled from his country in 1950 by the Chinese government. In 1989 he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his non-violent struggle for the liberation of Tibet. He is also a leader in addressing global environmental problems.

This selection of short films includes professional and student work that features the spiritual philosophy and truth of the Dalai Lama and practices of Tibetan Monks.

Never Give Up - The Heart of Compassion (Trailer)

Produced by:James Gritz/Fernanda Rivero

This documentary explores the teachings of His Holiness the 17th Karmapa, and three women inspired by Karmapa to put compassion into action.

Take a Walk Through Tibet

Produced by:Dave Puls

When all seems lost, this music video invites us to simply take a meditative stroll with the Dalai Lama through the mountains of Tibet.

Mystical Arts of Tibet

Produced by:Logan Cascia

The Monks from Drepung Loseling monastery perform using traditional Tibetan instruments and in traditional garb.

Together We Can Create World Peace

Produced by:Emily Baker

Elementary School student Emily Baker features the visit of the monks of the Drepung Loseling Monastery of Tibet to Laguna Beach. Together, they create a sand painting called a mandala in a ritual that symbolizes their teachings.

Teachers: Visit the MY HERO Dalai Lama Lesson Plan.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Dalai Lama's Message for the Youth" (2012) by Road to Peace Films (Dalai Lama documentary)

During our interview for the film Road to Peace, we asked the Dalai Lama what he would like to say to the youth of today, this was his powerful message.

Life of the Dalai Lama

Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.

-  Dalai Lama

From Child Soldier to Human Rights Activist - Mohamed Sidibay on his Heroes: Kailash Satyarthi and the Dalai Lama

By: Mohamed Sidibay
A former child soldier from Sierra Leone, Mohamed is now a human rights activist who is fighting for quality education for all regardless of national origin or gender.

Dalai Lama

By: Jeff Trussell
Dalai Lama is the religious leader of Tibet and an emblem of Tibet's hopes for freedom.

Story with text and audio so students can listen & read along -  Great for ESL/EFL

The Dalai Lama

By: Davis from San Francisco
"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." The Dalai Lama

US Artist Jim McNalis Creates Sculptures of the Dalai Lama

US Artist Jim McNalis's sculptures capture not only the joyful and humorous personality of the Dalai Lama, but also his incredible capacity for compassion. 

His Holiness the Dalai Lama

By: Jim NcNalis
The intent of this sculpture is to capture the enormous compassion, humility and humor of the Dalai Lama.

Dalai Lama Caricature Sculpture

By: Jim McNalis

Jim McNalis tries to capture the joyfulness of the Dalai Lama.

Portraits of the Dalai Lama by Professional and Student Artists

The Dalai Lama is a man devoted to peace. He is a symbol of positivity that inspires artists of all ages and capacities.

Dalai Lama

By: Tom Block

Tom Block of the Human Rights Painting Project painted this straightforward and sympathetic portrait of the Dalai Lama.

Dalai Lama

By: Davis Pollino

The artist has captioned this artwork: "The Dalai Lama is devoted to peace."

Buddhist Global Relief

By: Robin Wethe Altman

Southern California artist Robin Wethe Altman portrays the Dalai Lama as a symbol of the Buddhist Global Relief cause.

My Hero - His Holiness The Dalai Lama

By: Sajal Subodh from India (Age 14)

As part of Peace Pals International's annual children's art competition, this 14-year-old contributed a rendering of the Dalai Lama.

From the MY HERO Library

The Dalai Lama a Policy of Kindness: An Anthology of Writings by and About the Dalai Lama/Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize

By: Sidney Piburn (Editor), Claiborne Pell

Who is the Dalai Lama? Beginning with his Nobel Peace Prize lecture, this collection of addresses, interviews, and biographical essays affords readers an in-depth view of His Holiness.

The World of the Dalai Lama: An Inside Look at His Life, His People, and His Vision

By: Gill Farrer-Halls

With stirring text and striking color photographs, this intimate portrait shows the Dalai Lama in his many roles, from his childhood in Old Tibet to his current life on the world stage.

Ethics for the New Millennium

By: Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama's approach to life and the moral compass that guides him can lead each and every one of us--Muslim, Christian, Jew, or Atheist--to a happier, more fulfilling life.

Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama

By: Dalai Lama

In this autobiography, the Dalai Lama reveals the remarkable inner strength that allowed him to master both the mysteries of Tibetan Buddhism and the brutal realities of Chinese Communism.

External Links

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Stories were curated by MY HERO General Editor and Writer Shannon Luders-Manuel, a critical mixed race scholar and writer based in Hollywood, CA. 

The program of short films was curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Organizer created on 6/25/2018 9:26:55 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 7/16/2020 6:26:39 PM by Xenia Shin