The MY HERO Project | Library

The Secrets of Mary Bowser: A Novel

By Lois Leveen

ISBN: 978-0062107909
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
Based on a remarkable true story, The Secrets of Mary Bowser is an inspiring tale of one daring woman's willingness to sacrifice her own freedom to change the course of history All her life, Mary has been a slave to the wealthy Van Lew family of Richmond, Virginia. But when Bet, the willful Van Lew daughter, decides to send Mary to Philadelphia to be educated, she must leave her family to seize her freedom. Life in the North brings new friendships, a courtship, and a far different education than Mary ever expected, one that leads her into the heart of the abolition movement. With the nation edging toward war, she defies Virginia law by returning to Richmond to care for her ailing father?and to fight for emancipation. Posing as a slave in the Confederate White House in order to spy on President Jefferson Davis, Mary deceives even those who are closest to her to aid the Union command. Just when it seems that all her courageous gambles to end slavery will pay off, Mary discovers that everything comes at a cost?even freedom. Amazon Book Description
User Reviews:
Lois Leveen | 1/30/2013 12:23 AM
THE SECRETS OF MARY BOWSER is an adult book, but it's accessible to high school students.  There is a free Instructors Guide for the novel with activities to use Mary's story to teach school success strategies and to address contemporary social issues, as well as to teach content from across the curriculum--language arts, history, social sciences, math and science, and creative and performing arts.  The assignments are suitable for one campus-one book programs, and for both high school and college students.  You can download the free guide at  http://loisleveen.com/index.php/site/for-teachers

Motivated middle schoolers who are avid readers might enjoy THE SECRETS OF MARY BOWSER for out-of-school reading.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews