Press_Release

THREE MHIFF AWARDS FOR TSERING WANGMO

by MY HERO Media from LAGUNA BEACH, CA

137501Conversations with My MotherMY HERO

CONTACT: WENDY MILETTE                               FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director
The MY HERO International Film Festival
[email protected]
949-376-5964

“CONVERSATIONS WITH MY MOTHER” WINS THREE AWARDS FOR TSERING WANGMO

DECEMBER 20, 2019 – LAGUNA BEACH, CA – Tsering Wangmo, a young journalist and filmmaker has won the 2019 Eva Haller Women Transforming Media (WTM) Award in the student division at the MY HERO International Film Festival (MHIFF). In addition, Wangmo’s film “Conversations with My Mother” is the 1st Place Winner in the festival’s Experimental category and has earned Wangmo the 2019 Emerging Artist Award, which is presented each year to a creative young artist with strong potential to use their talents in a positive way. 

Wangmo was born in India to parents who were Tibetan refugees. She grew up in a small village, listening to stories of her family’s native land. This sparked her own keen interest in storytelling and ignited a desire to gain a deep understanding of the connective powers of mass media.

In her pursuit of knowledge, Wangmo studied journalism at South India’s Madras Christian College and mass communications at Himachal Pradesh University in Shimla. After graduating in 2014, she received funding from The Rowell Fund for Tibet and set off on a photographic quest to document the lives of Tibetan nomads. Her early work laid the groundwork for her current film.

"I was moved by the images of a girl in a hammock, a mother milking a cow... And the mother telling the story of giving birth to five children, all alive, none of them being born in a hospital. The most poignant part for me was the daughter's love and admiration for her mother, and moving from the hammock onto the ground, to be in her mother's arms," says Eva Haller, sponsor of the annual award. 

Haller is an activist, philanthropist and Holocaust survivor, who has mentored generations of women. She established the Eva Haller WTM Award in 2017 to encourage films that are women-centered and have the potential to make a positive impact in the world. She is also a member of The MY HERO Project board. 

The festival is part of The MY HERO Project, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to sharing stories, art, music and short films about everyday heroes throughout the world.

"Tsering’s unique gentle voice moves the audience into a firsthand experience of her intimate, loving and respectful relationship with her mother," said Wendy Milette, MHIFF director. "The emerging artist award recognizes filmmakers who show promise with their talents and storytelling skills. Tsering shows great promise.”

Since 1995, MY HERO has hosted the world's largest archive of hero stories and MY HERO resources are used in classrooms and afterschool programs in 197 countries. Learn more at myhero.com

For more information please contact Wendy Milette at [email protected] or visit the MY HERO website at myhero.com/films/festival. 

Watch “Conversations with My Mother” and other MHIFF winners:

myhero.com/winners