Tomas Diagne: The Director of the African Chelonian Institute

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

In the heart of Senegal, a quiet revolution in wildlife conservation is taking place, led by a man with an unrelenting passion for one of the world’s most ancient and vulnerable creatures: turtles. Tomas Diagne, the director of the African Chelonian Institute (ACI), has dedicated his life to the preservation of Africa’s chelonians—tortoises and freshwater turtles. 

Diagne is an African freshwater turtle and tortoise expert who has been working to save threatened and endangered turtle species in Senegal for the past 20 years. He began rescuing endangered African spurred tortoises (Centrochelys sulcata) as a teenager and in 1992 he created S.O.S. (Save Our Sulcata), a non-profit conservation organization. He also co-founded and built the Village des Tortues in Noflaye, Senegal - a sanctuary and captive breeding facility for sulcata tortoises that now houses over 300 individuals and has re-introduced numerous others back to the wild. Diagne has also been actively involved in freshwater and marine turtle research throughout Africa. He is a member of the IUCN Tortoise and Freshwater Turtle Specialist Group. In 2009 he decided to create the African Chelonian Institute (ACI) in order to expand turtle research, captive breeding, and re-introduction to all African turtle species.

169824TomasAfrican Chelonian Institute

The African Chelonian Institute, located in Senegal, has become a sanctuary for turtles and tortoises from across the continent. With its mission to conserve and rehabilitate endangered chelonian species, the ACI has made significant strides in breeding programs, habitat restoration, and research. Diagne and his team of researchers, conservationists, and local community members work tirelessly to create a sustainable future for these animals.

One of the institute’s major achievements is its successful breeding program for endangered species like the African spurred tortoise (Centrochelys sulcata). Through meticulous care, Diagne and his team have been able to raise and release hundreds of turtles back into the wild, contributing to the stabilization of dwindling populations. The institute also provides a haven for rescued turtles, many of which are victims of illegal trafficking or habitat destruction.

Beyond the walls of the institute, Diagne has built extensive partnerships with international conservation organizations, universities, and local governments. He emphasizes the importance of collaboration, believing that true conservation success can only be achieved through global efforts and by involving local communities in protecting their natural heritage. His vision of a world where people and wildlife coexist harmoniously is reflected in the educational programs ACI runs for local schools and communities, teaching the next generation about the importance of biodiversity and conservation.

Diagne’s work has not gone unnoticed. His efforts to save Africa’s chelonians have earned him international recognition, including prestigious awards such as the Whitley Award, sometimes referred to as the "Green Oscars," for his outstanding contribution to wildlife conservation. Diagne’s ability to navigate the complex intersection of conservation, local traditions, and modern scientific methods has made him a highly respected figure in the global conservation community.

Despite his success, Diagne remains deeply humble and dedicated to the cause. For him, the true reward is seeing the turtles and tortoises thrive in their natural habitats. His advocacy extends to addressing the challenges of climate change and its impact on Africa’s wildlife, and he continues to push for stronger legislation and protection measures for endangered species across the continent.

The Africa’s Turtles Protector directed by KHadim Seck is a short film honoring Tomas and his 30 years of work and it is a finalist in the 20th MY HERO Film Festival. 

Watch the film HERE.

About the MY HERO International Film Festival:

The My Hero Film Festival is an annual event dedicated to showcasing films that celebrate the power of the human spirit. The festival provides a platform for filmmakers to share inspirational stories of everyday heroes. Thanks to generous sponsors, prizes are awarded to elementary, middle school, high school, college and professionals in a variety of categories including documentary, narrative, music video, animation, experimental, and more. The festival aims to inspire audiences to recognize the heroism in their own lives and encourage positive actions in their communities. Learn more.