Tupac Amaru Shakur- My Hero

by Luis Vazquez from Newark , California in United States

A hero is someone you look up to, someone who made a big impact on your life. A hero is someone who has a great mind, someone who is real. That is my definition of hero. There is only one person who fits right in those words. That is Tupac Shakur. You’re probably wondering how could Tupac be your hero if he died 14 years ago? He did die in 1996, but he left something strong and real with us. That was his music. His music is so deep and genuine. I can relate to his music, like the song “ DEAR MAMA.“ My mom is a single mother who doesn’t know how to read or write, but she takes care of us like as if she is a college professor. Whenever one of us is sick, she is always right next to us as if she was a doctor. I can always depend on her, just like Tupac depended on his mother. His mother would come home late from work, but she would go straight to the kitchen to make a hot plate of supper. Tupac’s mother kept him happy like there was no limit, just like my mom does for me.

Not only did Tupac inspire me because of his mom, but also with his lyrics in another song. When I had nothing going for myself and started hanging with the wrong crew, I was about to give it all up. Then I heard Tupac’s song called, “Keep Your Head Up.” Tupac said these words.

“And I realized momma really paid the price. She nearly gave her life, to raise me right.” Right there it made me realize that I have somewhere to be. Another thing I love about Tupac is he was a thug, but not just any thug. He was a thug who wrote positive messages.

When I read his poem, If I Fail, I had to read it again, because I could believe that Tupac felt like me. There was a time when I didn’t learn from my mistakes, but now I have learned.

I changed and am starting to achieve my goals. It almost feels like I was caterpillar who turned into a beautiful butterfly. I had to decide if I wanted to be a student who was rude, and didn’t care about school or my future, or did I want to become someone who did care and was someone who loved school, looking for a bright future. Tupac was my bridge that brought me closer to success.

Tupac Shakur is my hero and will always be. He went through the same things I struggled with. I learned a lot and am still learning a lot. He has been gone for 14 years, but will still live through his music, forever. R.i.p Tupac.