Universal Children's Day Teacher Lesson Plan

Share the importance of Universal Children's Day with your students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Universal Children's Day lesson plan
Credit: UN Photo/Manuel Elias

Universal Children's Day promotes international togetherness, awareness among children worldwide, and improving children's welfare.

On November 20, 1959, the UN General Assembly adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child.

Students Learn about Young Heroes Through Story, Film and Art and Consider the Discussion Questions and Activities

Students read the story to learn more about climate activist Greta Thunberg, who was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize at the age of 16. She exemplifies the heroic traits of courage and perseverance. Greta started out protesting alone and ignited a global youth climate movement.

The story includes a link to Greta's Ted talk. 

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff

On the first day, Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with aspbergers, protested outside of Swedish Parliament alone. Now, she's leading 1.5 million students globally.

Students watch the following film and read the story to learn about Vivienne Harr who, at the age of 8, founded Make a Stand Lemon-Aid to raise funds for organizations that fight child slavery.

Vivienne

Producer: Diane Namm

Young Vivienne Harr was deeply affected by the story of children suffering from human trafficking. So she founded Make a Stand Lemon-aid to raise fund for organizations that fight child slavery.

Vivienne Harr

By: Sue Glader

Vivienne Harr founded Make a Stand Lemon-aid to raise fund for organizations that fight child slavery.

Students read the story about Iqbal Masih, a child from Pakistan who was sold into slavery by his father when he was 4 and escaped slavery at the age of 10. He began speaking internationally and was awarded the Reebok Human Rights Youth Award when he was 12 years old.  

Iqbal Masih

By: Stephanie and Audrey<br> from Forest Hills

Iqbal Masih was a brave advocate for child labor laws in Pakistan.

Iqbal Masih by Sydney from Laguna Beach

Iqbal Masih was a Pakistani Christian boy who became a symbol of abusive child labour in the developing world

Students read the story about Samantha Smith, a grade school student and peace activist. Then analyze the portrait by Robert Shetterly, noticing the text used in the portrait. 

Samantha Smith

By: Abbie from Taipei

Story about Samantha Smith.

Samantha Smith

Samantha Reed Smith (June 29, 1972 – August 25, 1985) was an American girl who became known as "America's Youngest Ambassador" in the United States and the "Goodwill Ambassador" in the Soviet Union during her short lifetime.

She wrote : "If we could be friends by just getting to know each other better, then what are our countries really arguing about? Nothing could be more important than not having a war if a war could kill everything."

Grade school student and peace activist, (1972 - 1985) Samantha was just 10 years old when she wrote the premier of the Soviet Union to ask him about his intentions for waging war. Yuri Andropov invited her to visit the Soviet Union and the success of her trip launched a 3 year odyssey of traveling the world, advocating for peace. Tragically, she and her father were killed in a plane wreck while returning home after one of their numerous peace missions.

Students read the story to learn about Sadako Sasaki, who was two years old when an American atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima near her home. Sadako inspired an international peace movement. Then analyze the artwork noticing the use of text. 

Sadako Sasaki

By: Amanda E.

Sadako Sasaki inspired an international peace movement.

Sadako Sasaki

By: Saint George

Sadako Sasaki was a Japanese girl who was two years old when an American atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, near her home next to the Misasa Bridge.

Students learn about Malala Yousafzai by reading the following stories, analyzing the artwork and watching the film trailer. 

Malala Yousafzai: The One With a Voice

By: Alex Zakoor

Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for girls' education and the youngest winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Malala Yousafzai

By: Jane Wallace

Malala Yousafzai speaks out for the rights of girls to have an education. This story has both text and audio. 

Malala by Marilyn Huerta

By: Marilyn Huerta

Malala the young activist who champions girls' education worldwide is painted by Marilyn Huerta

Malala Yousafzai by Avery from Cochrane

By: Avery

Malala has really impressed this student with her bravery and unselfish nature. She acts courageously to help other young women

He Named Me Malala - Official Trailer

Produced by:Laurie MacDonald

HE NAMED ME MALALA is a portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai.

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. Each of the young people featured have made a positive difference. How are these heroes alike? How are they different?

2. Which of these causes is important to you: climate change, ending child slavery, global peace, access to education for all, or another global issue? Research others working towards a solution and share their story with MY HERO.

3. Identify an issue that is important to you or your community. What can you do? Create an action plan, get others involved and share the story of your efforts with MY HERO.

Right To Play [Excerpt]

Producer: Frank Marshall

Olympian Johann Olav Koss embarked on a remarkable journey to use sports to improve the lives of African children.

Free the Children - WE Charity

Producer: Free the Children

WE Charity carries the power of WE globally, empowering communities to lift themselves out of poverty through our holistic, sustainable international development model, Free The Children’s WE Villages.

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. Johann Olav Koss wanted to give back so he started Right to Play. How has his organization helped children? 

2. What are some obstacles that children face that prevent them from playing? 

3. Craig Kielburger wanted to end child labor so he and his friends started Free the Children. Why is child labor an important issue? How does it impact a child's life?

4. Identify other heroes making a difference in the lives of children in your own community or globally. Who inspires you? How can you get involved? Share his or her story with MY HERO.

5. How can you make a difference in an issue important to you? Create an action plan, get others involved, and share the story of your efforts with MY HERO. 

Additional Stories about Young People Who Have Made a Difference

Emma González

By: Nikki F.

Emma González survived the Parkland high school shooting and successfully fought for improved gun legislation in Florida.

Dr. Nadine Burke Harris

By: Jane Wallace

Burke Harris believes toxic stress in children is both "treatable and beatable," but it must be acknowledged first.

Great for ESL/EFF Students: the Following Stories are Available in Text and Audio so Students Can Listen & Read Along

Bilaal Rajan

By: Sean from Richmond Hill

Bilaal Rajan is the founder of Making Change Now and Canada's child ambassador to UNICEF.

Ruby Nell Bridges

By: Madison

One of the most important heroes in the fight against segregation in America was a six-year-old girl, Ruby Nell Bridges.

Ana Dodson

Ana Dodson formed Peruvian Hearts to provide Peruvian orphans an education.

Discussion Questions and Activity

1. How are these activists examples of how one person can make a difference regardless of his or her age? What issues did you feel a connection to and why?

2. What are important issues facing your community or the world that you feel passionate about? What can you do? Create an action plan, get others involved and share your story with MY HERO.

3. Who are young activists in your own community making a difference? Share their story with MY HERO.

Learning Objectives

Students will identify an issue that is important to them and create an action plan. Students will develop critical thinking skills as they work towards solutions. Students will understand that one person can make a difference. 

Laura Nietzer

The Universal Children's Day lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

MY HERO Related Resources

Global Youth Service Day Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer

Classroom activity focusing on Global Youth Service Day celebrating youth who exercise their civic rights and to help youth identify a problem in their own community and solve them.

Malala Yousafzai Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer

MY HERO celebrates the courage and strong principles of this young student from Pakistan who taught the world how to take a stand against injustice. 

International Day of the Girl Child Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer

Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Elementary, Middle and High School Students. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

External Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Students: Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 10/1/2019 1:01:47 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 10/17/2019 4:24:53 PM by Laura Nietzer