Inventor

Walt Disney

by Shane Simes from Fredericksburg, Virginia in United States

Walt Disney: A True Innovator of His Time

137977Walt Disney With Mickeyhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_DisneyWalter Elias Disney is one of the greatest innovators and storytellers of his time. Many people on the path of life often give up after meeting a few road bumps and settle for what they have, but though he faced many hardships, he kept a personal strength and went on to create the Disney company. “When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable” (Disney). There are many ways to be a hero but it’s very rare to leave behind a lasting legacy. Walt Disney’s legacy is truly amazing and telling of how a person with nothing can achieve their dreams with just the right amount of drive and resolve. 

At the age of 16, Walter Disney dropped out of high school to join the army and serve his country, but due to his being underage, he was not accepted in. Passionate about serving, he joined the Red Cross, where he drove an ambulance for one year during the first world war. Although he joined the Red Cross and served in the war, he never gave up on drawing because of how passionate he was about it. Through his time in the army, he continued to develop his skills in drawing, a passion he had through his lifetime. What I find so great about Walt Disney is how he was able to continue to succeed while facing his hardest struggles. When I think of Walt Disney, I think of his character Mickey Mouse, one of my favorite characters as a child. To have this character to relate to and look up to makes it so much easier for Disney to be such a role model. Walt Disney wasn't successful the first couple times around. After the war, he started a new company and his first animation was called Laugh-O-Grams. When Laugh-O-Grams first came out, it was screened and was the most popular film in Kansas City. After a couple months, Disney was able to buy a new studio, where he continued Laugh-O-Grams and other small projects. He believed that “Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever” (Disney), and that life should be enjoyed to the fullest and worries are the main threat to life. Even though the animation was a hit, Disney had never really handled money in this way before, so they became bankrupt due to overspending funds. Disneyland, a magical place, is a worldwide phenomenon theme park that everyone knows about. However, when it first opened, it was a disaster for Walt Disney because of worker strikes and forged tickets. This park is one of Disney's greatest achievements showing how he bounced back from a "kick in the teeth" and made a legacy for many people to enjoy to this day.

Heroes are usually looked to for their accomplishments rather than their shortcomings. People like Walt Disney used their challenges to their future advantage. Disney's persistence to get life right and to be fulfilled led many people to enjoy their life. In many ways, Disney doesn't know how much he affected people and that he is still talked about today, which is huge since he died in 1966. Passing in 1966, Disney did not see the full reality of his dream. "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" (Disney). This quote truly shows how Walt Disney thought and how optimistic he was even after facing a plethora of challenges. Even after making Mickey Mouse and creating this character that would live on for ages, Disney had a breakdown after his best animator was taken from him, and having to deal with the stress of being overworked. This example from his life shows that when overworked, people can't function the correct way and can't meet success, but also it is necessary to work at a certain rate so life continues to happen. "All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all the troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you" (Disney).

Works Cited:

Lemesh, Nicholas. “From the` Archives - Walt Disney, World War I Driver.” Red Cross Chat, 1 Oct. 2016, redcrosschat.org/2015/09/17/archives-walt-disney-world-war-driver/.

Pak, Eudie. “Walt Disney's Rocky Road to Success.” Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 27 June 2019, www.biography.com/news/walt-disney-failures.

Walt Disney - Studios, Movies, & Death. https://www.biography.com/business-figure/walt-disney

“Walter Elias Disney.” Entrepreneur, 8 Oct. 2008, www.entrepreneur.com/article/197528.

Biography - Walt Disney's biography