Walt Disney

by Caroline from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Walt Disney
Walt Disney

If you hear the name Walt Disney, you most likely only think of "Disneyland" or "Disney movies," but not many people know the story behind the man who created this Disney empire, and many people don't even know his name. It's actually pretty sad. Walt Disney was a hero to many people including children, and even the elderly. He started from scratch, and he worked his way up to the top. Walt Disney was not only a hero, but he was a very dedicated man who believed in doing good and making a difference.

Ordinary Person:

Walt Disney was a businessman as well as an artist, entrepreneur, director, screenwriter, voice actor and an animator. For as long as he could remember, Walt Disney had always had a passion for the arts. He loved to draw things and he loved trains. Later on in his life, he attended the Chicago Art Institute where he was a cartoonist for a local school newspaper called “The Village Voice”. After his experience at the Chicago Art Institute, he was one of the first to start experimenting with Technicolor and animation styles that would soon change the life of the television.

Extraordinary Person:

In his later life, he established the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio with his brother Roy. He then later got a contract to make cartoons. Some of his most famous cartoons were: Snow White (1937), Alice in Wonderland (1951), Dumbo (1941), Peter Pan (1953), Lady and the Tramp (1955), Bambi (1942), Cinderella (1950), One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961), Sleeping Beauty (1959), and Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Mickey Mouse made his debut in Steamboat Willie (1928), which was an enormous success.

After all the cartoon making, he finally decided to build an amusement park. This was the start of Disneyland. Walt Disney spent years planning his masterpiece. There was also a television series called the Disneyland series. The Disneyland series ran for exactly 29 years. Disneyland, the actual park, took Disney years to complete, and opened to the public in 1955 in Anaheim, Calif.

Throughout his life, he won 32 Academy Awards. He’s the founder of Walt Disney Productions. Early in the 1960s, Walt Disney Productions established itself as the world’s leading producer of family entertainment. Walt did all this even though he was dyslexic. Being dyslexic is like an illness. It’s a learning disorder. It’s not all that common, but it’s not rare either. Also throughout his life, he produced about 680 movies, s acted in 124 movies (but mostly as Mickey Mouse because he was the voice of Mickey Mouse), directed 114 movies, animated or presented 52 movies, written about 10 movies, appeared as himself in 56 movies and has archive footing in 27 movies.

Odd Stacked against Walt Disney:

Walt Disney dropped out of high school, and lied about his age, only to find out he was too young to join the Army. Walt Disney started from scratch and soon, he had an empire. And now for the icing on the cake: his own father wouldn’t support him in his choice of being an artist.

How Walt Disney prevails:

Walt Disney accomplished his dream. He had Walt Disney World named in his honor, he was called the most significant figure in graphic arts since Leonardo DaVinci, he is one of the most well-known motion picture directors of all time, and to top it all, the Walt Disney Company today, is worth $30 billion U.S.

Now that you’ve learned something other then a fact telling you that gum takes 7-8 years to digest, the world is a better place. And you now know that you can make your dreams come true even if you have to start from scratch like my hero, Walt Disney, did.

Powered by NopCommerce