ORGANIZER

WInning Films made by College Students

Enjoy this selection of excellent hero-themed films made by college students!

Narrative Films

Locks

Produced by:Ryan Coogler
Director Ryan Coogler ("Creed," "Black Panther") won the 2010 Student Narrative Award at the MY HERO International Film Festival for this short "Locks."

G.I. José

Alejandro Marquez Vela
WARNING - This film is recommended for mature audiences - it contains strong language and violence -viewer discretion advised. A Mexican-American U.S. Army soldier comes back home and has a dilemma.

Present Trauma

Produced by:Mark Manalo
'Present Trauma' is a psychological drama about Keith, a Marine veteran struggling to cope with family life after a combat tour overseas.

No Child Left Deprived

Produced by:Mark Manalo
A young, inner-city public school student named Jaden takes a stand against his principal after the school's art teacher has been fired for choosing to teach art instead of the state-mandated, standardized test.

College Animation

In a Heartbeat

Beth David, Esteban Bravo
A closeted boy runs the risk of being outed by his own heart after it pops out of his chest to chase down the boy of his dreams.

Thembi's Diary

Produced by:Jisoo Kim
A wonderful evocation of a young African's refusal to let AIDS define her life.

#AnywhereIsSafer

Produced by:Dir. Adam Constable
A short animation set to the words of Warsan Shire's 'Home' – a poem about the experience of refugees fleeing untold atrocities in the countries.

The Present

Produced by:Dir. Anna Matacz
Jake spends most of his time playing videogames indoors until his mum decides to give him a present.

Documentary

Ixoq

Produced by:Kathryn Stewart
A young Guatemalan mother dreams of a better future for her son.

Cycle of Change

Produced by:Avani Mack
Moved by the lack of opportunity for women and youth in her community in El Salvador, Reina Molino ventures to Guatemala to study bici-maquinas—bicycle pedal-power technology.

The Last Iceman of Chimborazo

Produced by:Gabriela Lozada Pozo
For over 50 years, Baltazar Ushca has harvested the ice of Ecuador’s Mount Chimborazo. His job is disappearing along with the glacier.

The Barefoot Lawyers of Uganda

Produced by:Producer: Claire Miller / Director: Nikki Hausherr
This is the story of Winnie, a woman who stood up for herself and used her legal rights to overcome a multitude of hardships.

Experimental and Music Video 

Conversations With My Mother

Tsering Wangmo
I try to capture the simplicity of her life and the warmth that she provides to her family.

Smoke That Travels [Trailer]

Produced by:Kayla Briët
What happens when a story is forgotten? I'm making a film about my dad, Gary Wiski-ge-amatyuk, my family, and what it means to be Native American today.

From Mt. Tamalpais to Fruitvale Station

Produced by:Juztino Panella, Brandon Vance, Tommy Reed, Alan Roberson, Jahan Kha...
"Either there's hope, or I am merely dreaming... "A diverse community unites in arts and activism to address the epidemic of police killings of people of color in this dynamic hip hop music video.

MY HERO FIlm Festival Information

International Film Festival Overview

Produced by:MY HERO
The MY HERO International Film Festival is celebrating over 15 years of inspiring media. Become part of the community and submit your work today. myhero.com/submit
International Film Festival
Credit: myhero

Organizer created on 6/15/2020 4:23:50 PM by Wendy Milette

Last edited 6/15/2020 5:36:52 PM by Wendy Milette