LESSON PLAN

Women's Equality Day Lesson Plan 

Teachers: Share the importance of Women's Equality Day with students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's free Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plans.

Women's Equality Day Showcase Lesson Plan
Credit: Unknown [Public Domain] via Wikimedia Commons

Introduction: In 1973, Congresswoman Bella Abzug helped establish Women's Equality Day to commemorate the passage of the 19th Amendment on August 26, 1920, which gave women in the United States full voting rights.

MY HERO recommends students watch this short student produced film, Women's Equality Day, to learn more about the importance of the 19th Amendment and the history of Women's Equality Day. 

Women's Equality Day

Kitty Richardson

A brief look at the journey towards Equity for Women.

MY HERO recommends reading these stories to learn more about early feminists who worked for a woman's right to vote in the United States. Then consider the discussion questions and activities.

Lucretia Mott (1793-1880)

By: Hailey Pantoja

Lucretia Mott was a 19th century feminist who helped launch the women's rights movement. 

Margaret Fuller (1810-1850)

By: James from Shrewsbury

Margaret Fuller wrote Woman in the Nineteenth Century in 1845, an early major feminist work in the United States. 

Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906)

By: Julie Odano

Susan B. Anthony was a leading suffragist who co-founded the Women's Loyal National League, American Equal Rights Association, and National Woman Suffrage Association.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815-1902)

By: Kerri from Fredericksburg

Elizabeth Cady Stanton met Susan B. Anthony, and they worked as a team to change the world for women. 

Jeannette Rankin

By: Sriya Mupparaju

Jeanette Rankin, the first congresswoman, was determined to fight for women's rights and peace during her lifetime.  

Sojourner Truth

By: Libby Schwalbach

Sojourner Truth was a an abolitionist and women's rights activist who is known for her speech "Ain't I a Woman," delivered to the Ohio Women's Rights Convention.

Alice Paul (1885-1977)

By: Emma from San Diego

Alice Paul was a suffragist and leader for the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution, which granted women the right to vote. She picketed the White House and organized boycotts.

Lucy Burns (1879-1966)

By: Dominique Canlas from Brea

Lucy Burns was an American suffragist and women's rights advocate. She formed the National Woman's Party with Alice Paul.

The following story has an audio link that allows students to listen along to the story about Lucy Stone. Great for ESL students. 

Lucy Stone

By: Jacqueline from Ventura

Lucy Stone was a pioneer for women's rights.

Discussion Questions

1. The women above fought for women's rights, including the right to vote. Do you know of any people today who are working towards the equal rights of women? Who are they, and what are they doing? Submit their story to MY HERO. 

2. Research countries where women do not have equal rights. Identify someone who inspires you who is working for women's rights. Share their story with MY HERO.                              

3. Jeanette Rankin was the first female member of Congress. Do you know someone who was first of their gender, race or family to do something? What obstacles did they face, and how did they persevere to achieve their goal? Share their story with MY HERO.

Take a close look at the two photographs below. If these photographs appeared in the newspapers of their time, what message would they convey to their audience?   

Votes For Women - Jeannette Rankin

By: unknown photographer

Jeanette Rankin, the United States' first woman congresswoman, speaks to a crowd in Montana. 

Inez Milholland Boissevain

By: unknown

Here Inez Milholland, a New York attorney, is on horseback at the Women's Equality March in Washington D.C., 1913.

Students read these two stories about women who worked for women's rights in the United States during the 1960s and 1970s and consider the discussion question and activity. 

Bella Abzug (1920-1988)

By: Kruti from New Jersey

Bella Abzug was a New York Congresswoman who fought for women's rights and instituted Women's Equality Day.

Betty Friedan

By: Maya Tarin

Betty Friedan was a feminist in the 1960s who is often credited with starting the modern women's movement.

Discussion Question and Activity

Bella Abzug and Betty Friedan were second-wave feminists who worked toward equality and ending discrimination against women. Research other feminists from this time period. Who inspires you? Share their story with MY HERO.  

Learning Outcomes

Students will develop research and critical thinking skills as they explore women's rights globally. Students will identify people who work toward women's rights and equality, then select an individual who inspires them. 

Laura Nietzer

The Women's Equality Day lesson plan was created by MY HERO Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer.

MY HERO Calendars for use in the Classroom

MY HERO's Teachers Calendar Features Lesson Plans and Multimedia Resources

Teachers Calendar

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Related Pages

Women's Equality Day Aug 26
Credit: US Library of Congress [Public domain]

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers

By: Laura Nietzer
Ruth Bader Ginsburg is an Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Ginsburg took the oath of office on August 10, 1993. She is the second female justice of the Supreme Court.

Women's History Month Lesson Plan

By: Xenia Shin
Teachers: Use this short film program in the classroom as an educational resource. The lesson plan features women heroes as a launch pad for discussing women's history and women's rights.

External Links

Promotes Women’s History and is committed to the goals of education, empowerment, equality, and inclusion. 

National Women's History Alliance: Women's Quality Day

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Organizer created on 7/8/2019 7:20:01 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 8/8/2023 10:38:01 AM by Laura Nietzer