World Kindness Day Teacher Lesson Plan

Share the importance of World Kindness Day with your students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

World Kindness Day lesson plan
Credit: Public Domain via Pixabay

Students watch the following films about Kindness and consider the discussion questions and activities.

Films are appropriate for middle and high school students.

How an Unexpected Kindness Can Change a Life

Uplift TV

Professor of Neurosurgery, James Doty, M.D., tells a touching story of how one interaction can alter the course of a person’s life. (2:51 minutes)

Travelers

Produced by:Kenza Kadmiry

Two girls from troubled backgrounds meet on a train and share a heartwarming moment that allows them to briefly forget about their situations. (6:19 minutes)

Emma Cushman: A Light in the Darkness

Produced by:Colin Caviness

Unsung hero Emma Darling Cushman, an American nurse who saved the lives of thousands of Armenian children during the Armenian genocide (10 minutes)

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. Each of the three films focus on acts of kindness, big and small. Has someone ever shown you a kindness that had a positive impact on your life? Share the story of that person's kindness and what it meant to you with MY HERO.

2. Emma Cushman is an unsung hero who saved many children's lives during the Armenian Genocide. Which other unsung heroes have had a positive impact through their courage and kindness? Share their story with MY HERO.

" 'Be kind to one another,' I don't mean only the people that think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone. Doesn't matter."

-Ellen DeGeneres

Students read the following stories about programs and people who promote kindness and consider the discussion questions and activities.

Melissa Blake

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Melissa Blake, a freelance journalist with Freeman Sheldon Syndrome, uses kindness and body positivity to fight online bullying.

Anna and Victoria Mendez

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

After the death of Daniel Mendez, his mother, Anna, and his sister, Victoria, created 2 Cool To Be Kind, an anti-bullying nonprofit for teens.

Jon Bon Jovi

By: Staff

Jon Bon Jovi runs JBJ Soul Kitchens, where homeless can volunteer for an hour and receive a meal for themselves and their family.

Stories below include text with an audio link to students can listen and read along.

Great for ESL/EFF Students

Joneice

By: Kia

Joneice, a young girl, proved how strong she could be to her sister, Kia.

Hannah Taylor

When Hannah was 6 years old, she created the Ladybug Foundation to help end homelessness.

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. Melissa Blake, as well as Anna and Victoria Mendez, found ways to combat bullying. Are there organizations in your school or community that combat bullying? Share the story with MY HERO. 

2. Joneice was kind and took care of her sister. Has anyone been kind and looked after you or someone you know? Share his or her story of kindness with MY HERO. 

3. Jon Bon Jovi helps those in need with his JBJ Soul Kitchens. Are there any organizations that help those in need in your community? Share the story with MY HERO.  

4. What can you do in your community or school to help others or combat bullying? Create an action plan, get others involved and share your efforts with MY HERO. 

"A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees."

Amelia Earhart

For Younger Readers - by a Younger Writer

Hannah Taylor

By: Madison from Canada

Hannah Taylor started the Ladybug Foundation to help the homeless in her community.

Discussion Question and Activity

1. Hannah Taylor wanted to do something to help the homeless. Do you know anyone who has worked to help others in need? Share his or her story with MY HERO.

2. What can you do to help others? Create an action plan, get others involved, and share the story of your efforts with MY HERO. 

Students' Projects Celebrating Kindness

Students read the story about a school that used sticky notes to promote kindness. Then students watch the film of the Call to Action Kindness Project that partnered 6th grade students with second grade students. 

What can you and your class do to promote kindness in your school or community?

Create an action plan and share your efforts with MY HERO through story and film. 

Sticky notes promote acts of kindness in schools

SPPRAK, a not-for-profit program in Terre Haute, Indiana, literally 'notes' random acts of kindness by students, teachers, and staff.

Call to Action Kindness Project

Produced by:Gillum's Class

Students in 6th grade shared ways to be kind with 2nd grade children to promote a more positive culture in their school and community in Ontario, California, USA.

Appropriate for all Grade Levels

Students analyze the artwork below that represents kindness.

Students are encourage to create original art representing kindness. This artwork can celebrate an act of kindness, a person who is kind, or perhaps a collage or poster promoting kindness.

Submit your art to the MY HERO Gallery.

The Face of Kindness by Isabel Montes

By: Isabel Montes

This artist's mother is the epitome of kindness and a role model. 

Raking Leaves

By: Doug Miller

Jennifer Porter's kindness to her neighbors is an inspiration to her family.

Who Is Your Neighbor?

By: Charles Harper

Spiritual Lesson: Kindness to all, is a universal virtue promoted by all faiths.

"The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention."

- Kahlil Gibran

Learning Outcome

Students will be encouraged to collaborate as they formulate an action plan to work towards ending bullying and bringing acts of kindness to their school. By sharing their efforts with MY HERO, they will develop communication skills. Students will identify people in their own lives who have had a positive impact on them and/or their communities.

Laura Nietzer

The World Kindness Day lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

Related Pages

Character | Kindness

By: MY HERO Staff
The MY HERO Character series. Learn more about kindness through heroes.

Character | Compassion

By: MY HERO Staff
COMPASSION is the sympathetic concern for someone else's pain or misfortune, with the desire to help. Learn about compassion through the examples of heroes.

External Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 9/30/2019 3:54:11 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 10/17/2019 4:19:25 PM by Laura Nietzer