World Space Week Teacher Lesson Plan

Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Elementary, Middle and High School Students. Includes discussion questions and learning outcomes.

Credit: NASA [Public Domain}

World Space Week is celebrated each year between October 4th and 10th. The UN declared this observance in 1999, as an "international celebration of science and technology, and their contribution to the betterment of the human condition."

Two historical events open and close World Space Week: 

*October 4, 1957 - The launch of the first human-made Earth satellite, Sputnik 1

*October 10, 1967 - The signing of the Outer Space Treaty of international space law

Students watch Bella Gaia and discuss how the film demonstrates the relationship between humans and our ecosystem.

(Please note that if students view on their own device, they are able to get a 360 degree view.)

Bella Gaia VR

Produced by:Kenji Williams

BELLA GAIA is an unprecedented NASA-powered immersive experience that communicates without words.

Students watch this film about Valentina Mindoljevic, a physics teacher in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina who inspires her students.

Has a teacher inspired you? 

Share their story with MY HERO through written stories or film. 

Valentina Mindoljevic

Producer: Emina Kujundzic and Goran Tiro

Valentina Mindoljevic is a physics teacher in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina who challenges and inspires her students.

After reading the stories about John Glenn, Guion S. Bluford Jr. and Yuri Gagarin, students are encouraged to research other space pioneers and share their stories with MY HERO.

Guion S. Bluford, Jr.

By: Jonathan from Michigan

Guion S. Bluford Jr. was the first African American in space, and the second person of African ancestry.

John Glenn

By: Rivers

John Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth and received a Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2012.

Listen and Read Along

This story about Yuri Gagarin is available in text with audio, so students can listen as they read. Great for ESL/ELL students and emerging readers.

Yuri Gagarin

By: Gleb from Victoria

Yuri Gagarin was the first person to fly into space.

Space Stories for Young Readers - by Young Readers

Mae Jemison

By: Chase, Robert, Logan and Kyleigh from Reeds Spring

Mae Jemison was the first African American woman to travel in space.

Use the story about Mae Jemison, written by younger elementary students, as a model for a class activity integrating writing skills and art.

Project Ideas:

Individually, students create an illustration about their hero and write a few sentences. 

Collaboratively, students work together to illustrate parts of a common hero's life with accompanying text. 

Submit students' projects to MY HERO.

Sally Ride

By: Georgia Rowan

Sally Ride was the first woman to travel in space.

The story about Sally Ride was written by an upper elementary student.

Project Idea: Students write a story about their space hero, using sentence and paragraph structure appropriate to their grade level. Students create an illustration of their hero to accompany the story, and submit their project to MY HERO. 

Following Art and Activities are Appropriate for All Grade Levels

Students analyze the following pieces of visual art. 

Students create original artwork representing their space hero to submit to MY HERO. Teachers may assign a medium to integrate in the curriculum or allow students to chose their own.

Neil Armstrong

By: Sarah Dutton from Kentucky

American astronaut and aeronautical engineer who was the first person to walk on the moon

John Glenn

By: Ronan from Westerville

John Glenn was an aviator, engineer, astronaut, businessman, and politician.

Yuri Gagarin's Earth

By: Solbok Yi of Memphis

Russian astronaut Yuri Gagarin inspires this student.

Valentina, First Woman in Space

By: Mariana from the US

Mariana celebrates Valentina, the first woman in space.

Mae Jemison

By: Saraih from John Muir School

Chris Hadfield by Olivia from Alberta, Canada

By: Olivia

This student chose Chris Hadfield because he is an astronaut and the student really likes space.

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Learning Outcomes

Students will develop critical thinking skills as they compare written word, film and art. Students will develop research skills as they explore heroes making advancements in space exploration. 

Laura Nietzer

The World Space Week lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

Additional Resources: NASA Photos and Posters Illustrate the Beauty   in Space 

Space Shuttle - April 1983

By: NASA

Photo of astronaut in space

Hubble Mosaic of the Majestic Sombrero Galaxy

By: NASA/ESA/Hubble

An amazing image of a Galaxy

The Helix Nebula

By: NASA/ESA/Hubble

A Nebula photographed in space

Opposite Hemispheres of Neptune

By: NASA/ESA/Hubble

Neptune beautifully captured and recorded

Visible-Light Image of Jupiter

By: NASA/ESA/Hubble

The abstract beauty of Jupiter's surface photographed

NASA The Grand Tour Poster

By: NASA

NASA Celebrates 40 years of voyager exploration.

Voyager Modern Poster Celebrating 40 years

By: NASA

NASA celebrates 40 years of the Voyager Space exploration program.

NASA Voyager Disco Poster

By: NASA

NASA celebrates 40 years of Voyager Program with free posters.

Links

World Space Week
Credit: World Space Week
Hubble
Credit: NASA
Space Weather
Credit: Space Weather

NASA
Credit: NASA
NASA Image Archive Link
Secrets of the Universe Film Website
Credit: Secrets of the Universe

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Organizer created on 9/5/2019 1:42:09 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 10/17/2019 4:29:10 PM by Laura Nietzer