Press_Release

2021 WINNERS ANNOUNCED FOR SYLVIA EARLE OCEAN CONSERVATION AWARD

CONTACT:

Wendy Milette

Director of Media

[email protected]

949-376-5964 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WINNERS ANNOUNCED FOR SYLVIA EARLE OCEAN CONSERVATION AWARD 

JUNE 8, 2021 - LAGUNA BEACH - The MY HERO Project is proud to announce the winners of the Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award, which is given each year to short films that celebrate heroes working to protect the world’s oceans. The award, which is part of the MY HERO International Film Festival, includes cash prizes. 

The Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award is sponsored by MacGillivray Freeman Films Educational Foundation’s One World One Ocean Campaign. It is inspired by the work of renowned oceanographer and explorer Dr. Sylvia Earle. Earle is an author, lecturer, and research scientist who has logged over 70 expeditions and more than 6,500 hours underwater. She was the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) chief scientist and currently serves as National Geographic explorer-in-residence. She was awarded the 2009 TED Prize for her proposal to establish a global network of marine protected areas called “hope spots.”

____________________________________

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2021 SYLVIA EARLE OCEAN CONSERVATION AWARD WINNER

Rise From the Cape Flats - by Shamier Magmoet | South Africa | 9:45

The film is about a man who lives in the heart of the notorious Cape Flats, one of the most dangerous places in the world. After a life-changing encounter of seeing the ocean for the first time, he now advocates for positive change within his community through education and affording youth to experience the ocean, becoming advocates and protectors thereof.

“I really feel that the most inspiring was "Rise From the Cape Flats" about how Shamier Magmoet, a Muslim man living in "the most dangerous community in South Africa," discovered the ocean just a short distance away from his community and how it changed his life. The film depicts how his diving in the "Great African Sea Forest," experiencing its "magical world of peace, beauty and life," devoid of the daily gunfire and violence he was used to, compelled him to protect it and inspire others to do the same. He now leads kids there to experience the ocean in order to both fall in love and want to protect it and learn to rise above difficulties with hard work."

~Barbara MacGillivray | Award Sponsor

MacGillivray Freeman Films Educational Foundation

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2021 YOUTH OCEAN ACTIVIST HONOREE

Mabon 8 Year Old Activist - by Jack Davies | United Kingdom | 4:39

An 8-year-old boy, Mabon, is residing on the stunningly stark north welsh coast. He works with his mum to keep the welsh beaches clean, spending hours each week scouring the sand of plastic waste.

____________________________________

"I also want to honor the other inspiring short ocean film (especially for youth), entitled “Mabon 8 Year Old Activist,” about Mabon’s dedicated quest to remove omnipresent plastic from ocean shores.” 

Barbara MacGillivray | Award Spaonsor

__________________________________

The MY HERO International Film Festival is part of The MY HERO Project, a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to sharing stories of heroes from all parts of the world. MY HERO's award-winning website (myhero.com) hosts the world's largest archive of hero-themed stories, music, art, and short films.

For more information about the Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award, visit the MY HERO website or email festival director Wendy Milette ([email protected]). Watch the Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award SIZZLE.