Brenda Allen

by Hannah from Leonardville

Brenda  ((The Family))
Brenda ((The Family))

May 14th on a Thursday Brenda was pronounced with stage 4 ovarian cancer. It was definitely a life changer for everyone in her family. Instead of getting down on everyone and mourning about what happened to her, her family was more worried about comforting Brenda and taking care of her and making sure she is ok and is happy. The day she was diagnosed is the day everyone's lives changed. It was time to come together as one and to make a stand against cancer. This whole situation makes them appreciate life and family so much more.

Her family started fundraising the day they found out she was going to be able to take chemo. They fundraised at Target, Hobby Lobby, Dillon's and Rays. After raising about $6,000 from just fundraising they decided to put on a benefit concert with 5 well known bands around Kansas, followed by an auction. Just from that they raised about $17,000. June 7th they came into the hospital to Brenda sobbing, She then gave the news that she would no longer be able to take chemotherapy due to how sick she is.

After the family found out she wouldn't be able to take chemo, a lot of them lost hope in her - all of them besides her two sisters and two brothers. They have managed to keep her going and have hope in her actually surviving from this. They spent so many days up at the hospital with her while they watched her get sicker and sicker and there is nothing they could do to stop or even slow down the cancer from spreading rapidly through all of her organs and intestines.

After the 12th day of being in the hospital and living off of a bag of nutrients being pumped into her and pain medicine. Her family finally decided it was time to talk to her surgeon so they waited 8 hours in the hospital for the surgeon for him only to tell them she would not be able to get surgery. Due to being so sick that if she got the slightest infection she would die immediately because her immune system is so weak. She could not get chemo because it wasn't doing anything but making her sicker and sicker. So they talked to her and accepted the fact that she wasn't going to make it and decided to make what time she had in comfort.

When this happens it makes the family not even want to see her just because she looks so sick and upset. But she has accepted the fact that she won't be around much longer. Although having terminal cancer and not being able to live very long, Brenda still kept hope and never gave up. She decided to make what time she has last. September 10th on a Thursday at 10:07 pm the family received the news that Brenda's entire body shut down on her and she had stopped breathing. That was it, her fight was over. That was the day that God has received another beautiful angel. The kids sat in shock in the room with their mother as she passed. That last words her son told her was, "Say hello to dad for me."