Bernie Pregler

by Dylan from Anmore, Canada

My hero is Bernie Pregler!! He is a great choice for a hero because he helps who ever he can. Bernie lives in Coquitlam and volunteers at the Rotary Club in his spare time. That is one of the many reason I pick Bernie for my hero. He is a great man who is trying to make the world a great place to live for people like you and me. I am going to tell you about one of his many journeys to the Ukraine and how I think he is a hero.

I was lucky enough to meet Bernie Pregler in person. He is a great man and funny too. He told me how he started out as a hero. One of his friends was going to Ukraine and asked him if he could help him by visiting the orphanage, working in the hospitals and fixing computers on his trip. Bernie said yes because he thought it would be an great experience and a fun thing to do in his life. But when he saw how happy it made people, he just wanted to do it over and over again. Bernie said it was just a great thing to do in his life, he just loved going to the Ukraine. Bernie made lots of friends and now has awesome stories too.

I am now going to tell you what Bernie told me about his first trip to Ukraine, which I thought was the best trip he told me about. Here's how it goes. When Bernie arrived in Ukraine, he went to an orphanage/school. He went to look around the school and to meet the kids. Before he did all of that, Bernie walked into his room to drop his bag off. The walls were cement that had been painted in a unique design. The walls were also covered by wires for light. The beds were the worst part of the trip. Bernie said it was just horrible because they were soaked with pee!! They were also as hard as a rock. If you are wondering why the beds where soaked with pee, well, the kids use to pee in the beds until they grew out of wetting the bed. I feel sorry for Bernie if he had to sleep in a wet bed. After going into his room he went to see the kids. Bernie met the kids and they really liked him a lot, but the sad thing was that the kids could not speak English. Instead the kids gave Bernie high fives and some of those kids could really smack his hand hard. His hand got sore after a some time. I wonder if he got used to it? Bernie also made new beds for the kids before he left and good beds. Finally a good sleep!!!

Bernie went to Ukraine to help out at the Orphanage and to reboot computers to help at the schools. He got people to make beds for lots kids in the Ukraine. The computers were not the best because often they did not work at all. I would die!! I get mad if my laptop is slow. What is also bad is that the computers were not brand new Macs...They were old Soviet Union computers, and when I mean old I mean old! The first time Bernie went to Ukraine it was bad, but after a while it started to get better. It got better in every way. More roads, more computers, new ones. Bernie is doing his job.

When Bernie left to go to the Ukraine from Canada he went just to help out and for the experience, but when he flew back, he was a hero. He did not just become a hero in Ukraine. He also became a hero in South East Asia and Africa too. It is one of my favorite stories to tell. It is just a great story with a great point: you don't know until you try!!! Thank you for reading my story about Bernie Pregler.