Gerald Durrell

by Maureen from Clarkston

Gerald Durrell
Gerald Durrell

Many people help others in ways like science, medicine, or the arts. But since the earth is a place that we have to live in, we have to take care of it and all the creatures it holds. If people didn’t take care of anything around them the world would be polluted, every animal even as common as the deer, would be extinct, and we wouldn’t have any fresh water or food sources. Animals are a very important part of our everyday life because, believe it or not, we all evolved from animals at some time or another. Normal people can do great things for the environment just by recycling, turning off the water when they’re not using it, and saving electricity. Some times people take this responsibility further, like Gerald Durrell, for example.

Gerald Durrell was born in India in the year 1925, but did not stay long there. In 1945 Gerald Durell joined his first zoo staff at the Whipsnade Zoo. After only two years of working as staff, in 1947 he set out to go on one of many expeditions to collect animals. In 1959 after finally getting enough money for reseach, Gerald Durrell founded the Jersey Zooigical park which saves animals from extiction. One of his last accomplishments to help the world was in 1964 when he created the wildlife preservation trust international which saves animals' lives and the land they live on. Unfournately Gerald Durrell died in 1995 at the age of seventy.

This person is important to me because he saved the earth that we live on. Without him, many many animals and things around us would not be around today. This person has changed my life because he inspired me to do the same thing as he did and I want to make a big difference in the world just like him. If more people were like him, the earth would be a better place today.