Daniel Boone

by Ryan from Denver

Some people think a hero is someone who saves lives but I believe a hero is someone who believes in all mankind and never gives up no matter what challenges you may face in life. Daniel Boone was that person. His accomplishments in history as an American pioneer, explorer, soldier, businessman, and his inspiration in forming the Sons of Daniel Boone makes him my hero.

Daniel Boone was born on November 2, 1734. His family was Quaker and lived in a log cabin which is known today as the Daniel Boone Homestead. His home was near many Indian villages and he played and learned the ways of the Indians. He was given his first rifle at the age of 12 and started to enjoy hunting. Later in his life, Daniel Boone became a market hunter and would go on long hunting trips which would last weeks or months. He would hunt deer, beaver and bison and sell their furs to the fur traders. One of his quotes was "I can't say as ever I was lost, but I was bewildered once for three days." Many frontiersmen would carve messages or their names on trees, including Daniel Boone. His name or initials can be found in many places. There is a well-known tree in Washington County, Tennessee which says "D. Boon Cilled a. Bar on tree in the year 1760."

Daniel Boone is famous for exploration and the settlement now known as Boonesborough, Kentucky. This was the first settlement west of the Appellation Mountains. This trail made by Daniel Boone made it possible for more than 200,000 European people to settle in Kentucky and Virginia. During the Revolutionary War, Daniel Boone was an officer. Kentucky fought the Native Americans that were aided by the British. Daniel Boone was captured by Shawnee Indians, and was later adopted into their tribe. When he left the Indians and returned to Boonesborough, he was elected to his first term in the Virginia General Assembly in 1782 during the Revolutionary War. As a businessman, Daniel Boone did not do well. He bought and sold claims to tens of thousands of acres. The land market in Kentucky was booming but his business failed because he did not want to profit at someone else's expense.

His last words were "I'm going now. My time has come." Daniel Boone died on September 26, 1820. He became a legend in his own lifetime and an historic figure in America and Europe. In America, he is remembered as one of the earliest frontiersmen.

I am inspired by Daniel Boone's desire to explore the wilderness and his accomplishments of becoming one of the greatest American frontiersmen. Daniel Carter Beard was also inspired by Daniel Boone and created the organization called the Sons of Daniel Boone (or the Society of the Sons of Daniel Boone) which became the largest boys' club in America. Later in 1910, the Sons of Daniel Boone merged with another well-known youth program called the Boy Scouts of America.

Daniel Boone never bragged about any of his accomplishments. He always felt he was a common man. He once said "Many heroic actions and chivalrous adventures are related of me which exist only in the regions of fancy. With me the world has taken great liberties, and yet I have been but a common man." Daniel Boone was a courageous man and had strong beliefs no matter what other people thought of him. His motivation made him a famous figure in history. I admire his many qualities and accomplishments and his desire to explore the unknown. Like many of us, he may have been scared of what was down the road of life but that never stopped him from his adventures.