David Suzuki

by Claire from Belcarra, Canada

David Suzuki

My hero is David Suzuki. He is an environmentalist from Vancouver, Canada. He has shown me and many other people around the world what is really happening to the earth. In my opinion if he wasn't who he is today, nobody would care about the environment. I hope that you will think of David Suzuki as a hero too!!!!!

In an email, David had told me that his dad Kaoru Carr Suzuki introduced him to the environment by taking him camping and fishing. As a kid David read "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson. Her book was about the effect of pesticides on the US bird populations. After reading the book, David started realizing the human affects on the environment.

David Suzuki wants to show us what is really happening around us. To do this he has hosted many hit television shows, written 43 books and even has his own foundation, "The David Suzuki Foundation". In his books and shows he talks about what is happening to the earth now and what will happen in the future. He also talks about what we can do to help stop global warming.

When I was little, I watched David Suzuki's hit show "The Nature of Things". When I watched the "Nature of Things" at first I was most interested in the nature and animals in the show. That is why I watched it. But when I listened to him talk about global warming and the effects on not just the environment but on humans, I started to understand why he was telling us this and why he wanted us to help. He wants all of this so we can have a better now and a better future. Also so we will learn and continue to help the environment.

In the words of David Suzuki, "We're in a giant car heading towards a brick wall and everyone is arguing over where they're going to sit." To me this means that if we don't start taking global warming seriously then who knows what the world will be like in the future. Right now I know that I can help by using bags made of material instead of plastic. I can recycle bottles, cans and paper. And I can buy environmentally friendly products. You can do all this too!. And I learned this all from David Suzuki!