David Suzuki

by Claire from Edmonton

David Suzuki was born in March 24, 1936. David's family moved to Canada during the 20th century. David's family had to be sent to an internment camp in British Columbia until the war ended. In 1942, the government sold the family's dry cleaning business and interned his family aside from his father. After two months, David's father was sent to a labour camp in Slocan, British Columbia. After the World War 2, David's family was forced to migrate east of the Rockies. The family, then, moved to Ontario in the areas of: Islington, Leamington, and London.

David always told his father how much interested he was in nature and the environment. In 1958, David received his Bachelor of Arts from a college in Massachusetts and then a Ph.D in zoology from the University of Chicago two years after. Early in his career, he learned about genetics and then became a professor in genetics at the University of British Columbia. After all David's hard work in science and environmental issues, he received twenty-two honorary degrees.

During 1979, David hosted a CBC television series called "The Nature of Things." In this show, David's goal is to get people interested in nature, to look at the risks to human and wildlife habitat, and to show the values for having a more reliable society. David is a proud volunteer of using renewable energy sources and the soft energy path. David now have an advertisement called "You have the power," about conserving energy.

David started a campaign called "The David Suzuki Foundation," in order to lower the greenhouse gas emissions. This foundation uses a guide to sum up greenhouse gas emissions. Due to the difficulties with tree planting projects, the foundation buys carbon offsets from energy efficiency and renewable energy projects.

Overall, David has done many helpful and beneficial things for our planet that we are living in now. He found the best ways to keep our Earth sustainable and safe to live in. David used his own intelligence to make this world better for the people and animals. David Suzuki is my hero, because he had experienced how to live in a difficult life and used the goodness of his studies to make this world better to live in for us.