The Great Explorers

by Dustin from Boulder

The call to adventures and exploration is something everyone is born with. However, all too often children are steered away from it by things like the Internet and TV, and they lose their desire to go outside. But it is never truly lost, as it is possible to re spark the flame. Throughout my entire life, I have always wanted to be like all the great explorers and go discover things brand new to myself, or the world. These people are my heroes, because they say no to the ordinary life most people choose and go on to do great things. Without these people, the world would be a lot further behind than it is today.

Each one of these explorers has something in common, the desire to explore for the sake of adventure and discovery. They are never homesick because they feel at home doing what they love. Often I find myself daydreaming about future adventures I could have, and where I might find myself. Because the desire to explore is a noble cause in which a person wants to learn more and help others do the same. No one can really have anything against them, this is why I consider them to be heroes.

As Doctor Robert Ballard once said, there is still so much to see and discover. The Hubble Space Telescope is reaching the edge of the Universe, we are finding new planets every day, and even here on Earth there are still a lot of new things to see. Much of this planet's life forms are still undiscovered, the bottom of the sea is unmapped, vast rainforests still pose questions and mystery, and because of all this, I believe our natural desire to explore will never cease. The next generation is going to find twice as much as we do, and the one after that will do the same to them. So much is out there, and it is only natural to want to find it.