Felix Rodriguez de la Fuente

by Lucia Casado from Segovia, Spain

Felix Samuel Rodriguez de la Fuente was born on 14th March 1928. He was a Spanish naturalist and broadcaster and he is best known for his highly successful and influential TV series "El Hombre y La Tierra". He studied at Valladolid University, as a naturalist. He served as expedition guide in Africa, photo safaris and contributed greatly to environmental awareness in Spain and all around the world. His knowledge covered areas such as Falcony and Ethology .He studied and lived with wolves.

For me, he is a hero because he fought to save animals mostly those who live actually in Spain and in the Iberian Peninsula, like the Iberian Wolf, Imperial Eagle, Iberian Linx etc., and also some species like the Alaskan Dog and the Brown Bear. He also he worked hard to protect animals. He loved them so much. I love them so much. I think that life is impossible without them in many aspects, and many people don't understand that they are living beings. This is terrible because animals suffer a lot if we do not treat them well.

He cared for the Environment which is also very important for me and for animals. He adopted two orphan wolf cubs, "Sibila"(his favourite of the two) and "Remo", two wolves of the "Bierzo" mountains and established good relationships with them, so, in that way, he improved his skills to understand animals, specially, wolf behavior. But curiously, when he was young, he hated wolves and was afraid of them.

He died in 1980, when he was shooting a documentary on Alaskan Dogs. His plane crashed killing all people onboard. His daughter continues his amazing work.
By Lucia Casado Martin 1º E. IES Maria Moliner, Segovia, Spain