George Washington Carver

by Matthew from Honolulu

My hero is George Washington Carver. He made lots of discoveries in his lifetime. George was a very smart man. He went to an all white school when he was a teenager, and got a masters degree in college at a time when not many black people were able to go to college. After George retired he went to work on a farm. He was smart so he went to conference. Carver told lots of people that when they are waiting for their cotton to grow they could starve until they sell their cotton and afford to buy food. Instead people can grow peanuts so they don't starve.

George Washington Carver is my hero because he wanted to learn. When he was a kid, he wanted to learn more and more. Because he was a black he couldn't go to a white school, and there were only white schools around where George lived. He was sent away from home to a black school. George had to walk 8 miles to go there, so he found a family to live with that was near his school.

Carver is my hero because he could get along with other families.  In order to go to school, he had to live with four different families that he didn't know.  Even though Carver didn't know the different families ahead of time, he still got along with them.  Every time a family had to move, George would move to another city and find another family to stay with.  A couple he met in church and became friends with got Carver into a college.

George had many difficulties in his life.  He almost died when he was a baby after bushwhackers kidnapped him.  Carver was found by a neighbor who saved his life.  Every time a family moved Carver had to find another family to live with.

I learned that I should study a lot and become very smart like my hero, George Washington Carver.  I will get along with other people and say hi to them.  When I am faced with difficulties, I will overcome them.