Earthkeepers

Jack Johnson

by Turner from San Diego

(rollingstone.com ())
(rollingstone.com ())

"Our dreams are made of real things, like a shoebox of photographs," Jack Johnson once said. Johnson is passionate about his dreams and he continuously strives to make them reality. Johnson grew up in Oahu, Hawaii, and practically lived in the ocean. With his father Jeff being a professional surfer, Johnson quickly fell in love with surfing at the age of four. As Jack said, "We'd spend all our time outside. The house was just to sleep in. It was always too hot in my room"(Newsmakers). By the time Johnson turned fourteen, he had became so good at surfing, that a surf brand, Quiksilver, offered to sponsor him. Johnson gladly accepted. Unfortunately, when Jack was seventeen, he had a terrible wipe out which resulted in more than one hundred stitches and a broken nose. During Johnson's recuperation, he began to play more music to pass the time. Jack began practicing much more often, and soon started writing songs for his friends. He says, "I spent a month or two playing guitar instead of surfing. That's when I got into playing music and writing songs. And I realized there was something else I loved"(Contemporary Musicians). Johnson chose a typical path in life and went to college at UCSB unlike his many friends, who turned to surfing professionally. After college, Jack hit the road and traveled the world with his old surfing friends. Jack also delved into filmmaking, and he filmed his first documentary. After releasing a few albums, he soon became very popular.  Jack used this new popularity in many great ways, trying to inspire people. He wrote songs in an effort to get people to think about the environment and how to keep it clean. Jack Johnson shows true heroism through his determination to always follow his heart, his selflessness towards the environment, and his love of nature which inspires him to make the world a better place.

(www.samaritanmag.com ())
(www.samaritanmag.com ())

Johnson always follows his heart when making choices. First of all, Johnson's charity he and his wife Kim founded, helps various causes for the good of the environment, and many children around the world. "In addition to funding environmental initiatives, the Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation continues to build relationships with grantees offering music and arts education for youth, primarily in Hawaii and California"(Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation). Jack continually follows his passions and tries to make the world a better place. For example, Johnson has created various charities and is often organizing beach cleanups. Johnson tries to spread his message to everyone. He genuinely cares about both the environment and people. One way Johnson spreads his message of caring for the environment is through his concerts. "Also, I will be becoming a United Nations goodwill ambassador, which is exciting for me and a big honor. It was right in line with all of the initiatives that we bring on tour in trying to cut down on some of these plastics and all those actions we try to take at our shows"(Doyle). Even on stage, Johnson spreads his message about the environment and keeping it clean. In many of Johnson's concerts, he tells the audience about his charities and informs them on how they can help. Jack continually follows his heart and passion to make people aware that our environment needs cleaning.

Johnson is selfless when it comes to the environment, and he will do whatever it takes to try to keep it clean. For example, Jack uses his fame for this cause. "Jack and Kim Johnson have been effecting change worldwide by leading the music industry in greening practices and using their success to support many social and environmental issues"(Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation). Johnson uses his fame for the betterment of our planet rather than just being greedy with it. He stresses the importance of keeping the environment clean through his popularity, and always seems to put it before himself. In addition to spreading his message, Johnson also participates in all of his clean ups. This inspires many people, and therefore, they look up to him. "In his role as UNEP's Goodwill Ambassador Jack Johnson will help to generate interest and mobilize positive action for environmental causes in support of UNEP's work. He will focus particularly on issues such as marine litter and promoting sustainable food systems and plastic free initiatives"(UNEP.org). Johnson is selfless when it comes to the ocean and keeping it clean. He tries to make as many people possible aware of various problems we have in the world today. Johnson inspires others to get involved in programs and charities, by first participating himself. He continually strives to get others to follow in his footsteps to a greener earth.

(www.unep.org ())
(www.unep.org ())

Jack's love of nature inspires him to make the world a better place. First of all, he helps spread his message through the three R's, reduce, reuse, and recycle. He claims,"The Three R's urged kids to become more environment-friendly consumers by re-using and recycling. Sometimes it takes a big warning sign before people take notice, or you have to wait till it's all too far gone before they start worrying about it"(Newsmakers). Johnson's love of the ocean has inspired him to spread his message through children. He believes the next generation will be powerful and will be able to make a change in the world. The three R's have been used by him when talking to kids and also through his music. Johnson uses them to show the importance of reusing, reducing, and recycling. He also says, "It seems to me that putting a little bit of energy into teaching kids can't hurt. You can't teach them too much--all you can do is put the seed into their minds."(Newsmakers). Johnson tries to create teaching moments the kids will never forget, so they too will be inspired to help make the world a better place. He believes that when kids are involved in hands on activities, they are more likely to become concerned and passionate about the environment, as he is. Therefore, Johnson creates opportunities for many children to learn and fall in love with nature. Jack creates hands on opportunities for many children to learn and be inspired by the environment. His love of the ocean has inspired him to take good care of it, and even more importantly, to get his message through to many people, including young children.

Jack Johnson is a true hero due to his determination to always follow his heart, his selflessness towards the environment, and his love of nature which makes the world a better place. Johnson has formed many charities. He uses his fame to spread awareness and reach a large scale audience. He educates both adults and children alike and gets them involved in hands on activities in the environment. Johnson participates in these activities himself which is even more encouraging to other people.  In addition, he uses the three R's to persuade children to care for the environment. Johnson's love of the environment inspires many people to make the world a better a place. And as if that weren't enough Johnson also creates incredible music! He inspires me to play many of his songs on my guitar and inspires many others through all of his hard work and determination to make the environment that much cleaner and nicer each and every day. Jack Johnson is a hero to me, and he shows this through many things he has done. Johnson continues to inspire more and more people every single day, and as his thoughts and actions spread across the globe, thousands, if not millions of inspired people will take up his cause for the betterment of the environment.  

Doyle, Patrick. "Jack Johnson on Environment, New Music, Hanging with Jack White." Rolling Stone. N.p., 05 June 2015. Web. 04 Feb. 2016.

"Jack Johnson." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 2006. Biography in Context. Web. 29 Jan. 2016.

"Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation." - About Us. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Feb. 2016.

"Musician and Environmentalist Jack Johnson Designated UNEP Goodwill Ambassador on World Environment Day 2015 - UNEP." Musician and Environmentalist Jack Johnson Designated UNEP Goodwill Ambassador on World Environment Day 2015 - UNEP. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Feb. 2016.

Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation - Focuses on creating positive change in communities by supporting organizations for many good causes.
JackJohnsonMusic - His official website.
All At Once - Find out how you can make a positive change in your community!