Katherine Sheppard

by Kelly from San Diego

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Sheppard ())

"A great woman has gone whose name will remain an inspiration to the daughters of New Zealand, while our history endures". This quote was read at the funeral for Katherine Sheppard. The political advancement of women in New Zealand was brought about by a handful of courageous women, particularly Kate Sheppard. Kate Sheppard was born on March 10, 1847 in Liverpool, England. Her full name was Katherine Wilson Sheppard, but she preferred the name Kate. After her father's death in 1862 when Kate was only 15, Kate's mother, took her and her two older brothers over to New Zealand, in 1868 and settled in Christchurch. Then in 1871, Sheppard got married to a merchant named Walter Allen Sheppard. Together they had one son, named Douglas who was born in 1880. She was an active member in her church and was very religious. Later in her life she became a big leader in the fight for Women's rights. Three heroic traits that a hero should possess are being a leader, strong, and devoted. Leadership skill because lacking this skill will keep people from knowing what is expected for them to accomplish. Strong will power would allow the hero to get things done. And lastly the hero needs to be devoted to their cause, while having the mindset of not giving up until something is accomplished. Katherine Sheppard portrays great leadership, a strong will for what's right, and a devoted mindset; all of which signifies that she deserves the title of a hero. 

(https://www.teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/2s20/1/2 ())

With a strong-will to get something done, Katherine Sheppard has proven that hard work pays off. Kate showed she was a strong leader by: "She was instrumental in making New Zealand the first country in the world to grant women the right to vote."( Biography Reference Center) Sheppard was a strong, determined woman who stopped at nothing to achieve her goal. By being able to accomplish her goal, Sheppard became a major icon for the Women's Right Movement. To say ones strong is one thing but to be able to prove it is another, Sheppard was able to prove it by: "The practical mean's of ending a wife's economic and legal dependence on her husband was given in the NCW proposal that there should be a law 'attaching a certain just share of the husband's earnings or income' for the wife's separate use, 'payable if she so desires it, into her own account."( Biography) This law is stating that women shouldn't have to worry about any of the political matters and to just leave it to the male. But that was what Sheppard did not want, she thought and believed women should be able to make their own income and not smooch off their husband's for money. Katherine Sheppard has proven that strong will power will help to put an end to sexist remarks, against women not being able to vote. 

Telling people to accomplish something without a purpose is one thing, but being able to lead a vast amount of people with a purpose to succeed their goal is a whole other story. Katherine Sheppard has proven that with great leadership skills, she was able to band together many organizations and people to help support the Women's Right Movement. "Kate Sheppard is recognized as the leader of the fight to win the right for New Zealand women to vote."(Kate Sheppard) Every great battle, event, or movement always has an amazing leader that is meant to lead the group to victory. That's where Sheppard comes into play, she is the almighty leader that sets up everything and organizes what everyone is supposed to do to be a part of the movement. Without a good leader how will the people know what to do, the whole thing might as well come crumbling down and everyone just give up. But "NO" that is not what the people want. They want a fierce leader that will stand up for what they believed; just like how Katherine Sheppard stood up for the women's rights. Leaders also need to be able to stand up for them self, Sheppard proves that by: "Kate Sheppard stood up for what she believed was right for the female community. She believed everyone deserved the right to speak up in anything from politics to society in general."(Kate Sheppard) Sheppard strives to accomplish one goal, and that goal was to allow women's the right to vote. And being a woman herself made it difficult, men thought women should just stay at home and do house duties. But Sheppard thought differently, she wanted to be able to make political decisions and the right to vote. With that Katherine stood and became the leader of the Women's Right Movement that would enable women right to vote if the group was approved and had many supporters. 

Kate Sheppard's determination to giving women equal right is only possible because of all the devotion and time she put into the movement. She shows devotion to her movement by: "Among the issues she supported were the greater equality in marriage and the right of women to run for Parliament. Although poor health forced her to step down as president of the NCW in 1903, she remained a prominent figure in the women's right movement."(Biography Reference Center) Although Katherine had health issues keeping her from doing the work she did before, she continued to show great support for her cause. Instead of fully retiring when in poor conditions, she continued to keep helping with her movement. Sheppard proved she's a devoted abolitionist and suffragist was: "She organized petitions to Parliament asking for women to have the right to vote and persuaded Sir John Hall, a leading Member of Parliament, to support them."(Kate Sheppard) Sheppard had to get support from many people and organizations, in order to give women the right to vote. Sheppard devoted much of her time to getting the women right to vote. She held countless meetings, met with different people, and wrote letters to the press. Sheppard's devotion towards her movement proves that she stands by her belief that women deserve same equality as male. 

(https://www.kaimai.school.nz/nz_currency/kate.html  ())
(https://www.kaimai.school.nz/nz_currency/kate.html ())

Katherine Wilson Sheppard, a devoted abolitionist and suffragist took a strong stand in New Zealand for women's right; her leadership towards what she believed has left a major impact on other countries. Kate Sheppard stood up for what she believed was right for the female community. She believed everyone deserved the right to speak up in anything from politics to society. Katherine Sheppard made a major impact on many people's lives, and has inspired many women to follow in her footsteps. Her organization has affected countless of women in this world. She has given women the same equality they deserved and made life easier for us. Sheppard is an inspiration for me and a vast variety of people. She stood up for herself and her rights, that's what needs to be done today. Not taking "NO" as an answer, Sheppard only strived to achieve her main purpose, allowing women the right to vote. In conclusion, Katherine Sheppard was a remarkable woman, who spent countless years working many women's equality and families in New Zealand. Kate should always remembered not only for her work to bring change to New Zealand women by gaining the right to vote, but for her pride of being a woman, at a time where being a woman was seen as a weakness, which is inspiring to me.

Work Cited

"Kate Sheppard, 1847-1934." Kate Sheppard 1847-1931. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2012.            .

"Lightner, Barb. "Kate Sheppard." Kate Sheppard (2009): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web.   5 Dec. 2012.

"Sheppard, Katherine Wilson." - Biography. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Dec. 2012.

Sheppard, Kate." Britannica Biographies (2012): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 5 Dec.      2012.

Sheppard, Kate (1847-1934)." Dictionary of Women Worldwide: 25,000 Women Through the       Ages. Ed. Anne Commire and Deborah Klezmer. Vol. 2. Detroit: Yorkin Publications,         2007. 1713. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 5 Dec. 2012