SHOWCASE

International Women's Day

is celebrated on March 8th

Celebrating the achievements of women.

Credit: VICTORIA PICKERING (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) VIA FLICKR

Film

This selection of winning films is curated by the film festival director. These films feature remarkable women who are having a powerful positive impact in their communities and in the world.

Yasmine Sherif Global Educator Award Winner

Kitty Richardson
Congratulations to Yasmine Sherif, the Director of Education Cannot Wait and the winner of the 2020 Global Educator Award.

2021 Global Educator Award - Frances Moore Lappé & Anna Blythe Lappé

Produced by:The MY HERO Project
Learn about Frances Moore Lappé & Anna Blythe Lappé in this video celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Book Diet for a Small Planet.

Media Arts Educator | Holly Carter

BYKids
Holly Carter is a leader in media arts production with youth around the world

Joan Ganz Cooney: The Unsung Hero Who Led Us All To Sesame Street

Anna Brodine | Seaman High School
Joan Ganz Cooney as producer of Sesame Street, combined education and entertainment in children’s television programming..

Geralyn Dreyfous | Impact Partners

Produced by:MY HERO
Excerpt from our interview with Geralyn Dreyfous, recipient of the MY HERO International Film Festival 2019 Media Award.

Eva Haller Salon - Dr. Sakena Yacoobi & Rev. Chloe Breyer

Eva Haller

Stories

These present-day heroes follow their passions in supporting and pursuing women's rights and equality, both globally and in their own communities.

Pashtana Durrani

By: Deborah Neff
Pashtana Durrani, who received the Malala Fund Education Champion award for her work on behalf of education for Afghan girls, is determined to continue providing educational opportunities for women and girls, even if she has to resist the Taliban and go underground.

Samar Minallah Khan

By: Abigail Richardson
Samar is a filmmaker, anthropologist and activist. In the media, she has been referred to as ‘The Savior of Souls,’ one of the ‘Women who rock the world,’ ‘The Crusader with the Camera’ and the ‘Women that changed Pakistan.’

Dr. Sakena Yacoobi, Hero and ‘Mother of Afghan Education’

By: Abigail Richardson

Yasmine Sherif: Winner of the 2020 Global Educator Award

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Yasmine Sherif, who leads Education Cannot Wait, is the winner of MY HERO's 2020 Global Educator Award.

Malala Yousafzai: The One With a Voice

By: Alex Zakoor
Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for girls' education and the youngest winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Sahraa Karimi

By: Deborah Neff
Afghan filmmaker Sahraa Karimi speaks out about the future of Afghan cinema and the rights of girls and women as the Taliban takes over the country in August 2021.

2019 MY HERO Global Educator Award Winner Melinda Gates

By: Betty Bailey
Melinda Gates' women heroes in Africa and India teach her how to uplift the women in their communities through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Sangeetha Sekar

By: Mohit Arora, Aishwarya Ashok, Shikha Kumari
Sangeetha Sekar is an award-winning soccer player (footballer) who lives on the streets with her family in Chennai, India.

Shirin Ebadi

By: Chloe McGee
Shirin Ebadi, an Iranian lawyer and former judge, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003 for fighting for the rights of women, children and refugees.

Listen & Read Along

Viola Vaughn

By: Brande from Spokane
Viola Vaughn founded an organization that supports girls working to achieve academic success in Africa.

Raden Adjeng Kartini

By: Ines from Jakarta
Raden Adjeng Kartini championed education and civil rights for women in Indonesia.

Art

Untitled

By: Clementine Hunter
Artwork by artist Clementine Hunter, 1981.

Mu Nu/Yellow River

By: Hung Liu
Mu Nu/Yellow River is a delicate etching work made by the Chinese-American artist Hung Liu, capturing a close-up shot of women dragging a ship upstream on the Yellow River.

Palestinian Women Mural

By: Unknown

Girls and Women

By: Nasrin Sadeghi Bojd from Iran

Malala

By: Nina Falaise Cooper

Eleanor Roosevelt

By: Robert Shetterly

Links

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 2/19/2014 9:50:59 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 3/2/2022 11:06:49 AM by Jeanne Meyers