Women's History Month | March

Women's History Month is celebrated each March in the United States as a way to "amplify women's voices to honor the past, inform the present and inspire the future."

Credit: All images public domain via Wikimedia Commons

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for Women's History Month for this film program. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

UNLADYLIKE2020 SERIES

UNLADYLIKE2020: Bessie Coleman

Bessie Coleman wanted to become an aviator. Rejected from every U.S. aviation school for being a woman and black, she refused to take no for an answer.

UNLADYLIKE2020: Margaret Chung

Margaret Chung aka "Mike" aka "Mom Chung of the Fair Haired Bastards," was the only woman in her med school class. She advanced women's ability to serve in the armed forces.

UNLADYLIKE2020: Ynes Mexia

A late bloomer, botanist Ynes Mexia enrolled in college at the age of 51. She led expeditions, including in the Amazon rainforest, discovering 500 new species of plants.

UNLADYLIKE2020 SERIES | Director’s Statement | Women’s History “Continues to Resonate and Shape American Lives Today.”

UNLADYLIKE2020 series was selected as the winner of the 2020 Eva Haller Women Transforming Media Award, offered each year as part of the MY HERO International Film Festival to recognize outstanding documentary shorts featuring women.

UNLADYLIKE2020 Directors Accept 2020 Eva Haller Women Transforming Media Award

Produced by:Charlotte Rangin, Sandra Rattley

Directors Charlotte Rangin and Sandra Rattley accept the Eva Haller Women Transforming Media Award for their series UNLADYLIKE2020 at the 16th annual MY HERO International Film Festival. Remarks by MY HERO director Jeanne Meyers, sponsor Eva Haller, MY HERO Film Festival director Wendy Milette.

Films

CFE 2020 IFF Eva Haller WTM Award
Credit: Eva Haller

The following program of short films celebrate women trailblazers and show the kinds of obstacles these women faced, as well as common threads between their stories. We celebrate the empowerment of women across many cultures!

RBG [Trailer]

Betsy West & Julie Cohen
At the age of 84, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has developed a breathtaking legal legacy while becoming an unexpected pop culture icon.

Eva Haller: A Work in Progress

Produced by:Jeanne Meyers
A life dedicated to philanthropy, activism and mentorship, Eva Haller makes a positive impact around the world.

Yasmine Sherif Global Educator Award Winner

Kitty Richardson
Congratulations to Yasmine Sherif, the Director of Education Cannot Wait and the winner of the 2020 Global Educator Award.

Women Transforming Media: Gabrielle Gorman

Produced by:Xenia Shin, Jeanne Meyers, et al.
Emerging filmmaker Gabrielle Gorman's poetic filmmaking confronts issues like identity, racism and self-love. We talk to the 2016 MY HERO International Film Festival Student Honoree, National Young Arts alumna in Cinematic Arts and Presidential Scholar finalist about how she wants to make art for social change.

Women Transforming Media: Alyse Nelson

Produced by:The MY HERO Project

“Power expands the moment it’s shared. And women often want to do that. When they're invested, they want to give back, they want to pay it forward. And that’s what we do at Vital Voices. We simply search the world for these leaders with a vision for extraordinary change. And we invest in them to take that vision to scale.”

Women Transforming Media: Cari Beauchamp

Produced by:Xenia Shin, Jeanne Meyers, Rita Stern Milch, et al.

Cari Beauchamp is an award-winning author, film historian and documentary filmmaker. In her book about the nearly lost history of the powerful women writers of early Hollywood, Without Lying Down, she resurrects the figure of Frances Marion, who reigned as the highest paid screenwriter or two decades. With the book nearing its 20th anniversary, we talk to Cari about how she rescued Frances Marion "from the footnotes of history."

Women Transforming Media: Abigail Disney

Produced by:Jeanne Meyers, Xenia Shin
We talk to documentary filmmaker and philanthropist Abigail Disney about why she became a documentary filmmaker, her award-winning film "Pray the Devil Back to Hell," and her organization Peace is Loud.

My Family Journey: Pathway to Empowering Hispanic Women

Angelina Pendleton-Mendez

Angelina Pendleton-Mendez interviews Maria Mendez, her paternal grandmother, about her family and their journey.

SPECIAL HERO AWARD - Ruth Ikeda

This powerful, personal, and amazing story focuses on Ruth Ikeda, mother of AUHSD Superintendent Michael B. Matsuda and AUHSD Professional Learning Coordinator, Jackie Counts.

Looking After Our Spirit

Mark Pearce featuring Dr. Anne Poelina
Dr. Anne Poelina speaks out about the social, human, cultural and environmental values that has built the community spirit of Broome.
On March 8, 1911, the world celebrated the first-ever International Women's Day. It was part of the women's suffrage movement, which was in full swing in European and North American countries: Women wanted to vote, and they wanted to have the same rights as men. In 1986, national Women's History Month was declared in the US.

Women's Equality Day

Kitty Richardson

A brief look at the journey towards Equity for Women and the Women's Suffragette Movement directed and narrated by MY HERO intern Kitty Richardson.

Stories

These stories highlight female heroes who took on pioneering roles in the distant and recent past. Their long-lasting contributions to America push the country forward and open doors for the women who come after. 

Dorothy Vaughan

By: Brittny Barcenas
Dorothy Vaughan was the first African American woman to supervise the West Area Computers, "human computers" at NASA (originally NACA) during the Space Race.

Harriet Tubman

By: Cara McPhie
Harriet Tubman was a slave known for creating the "Underground Railroad" network, leading 300 slaves, including herself, to freedom.

2019 MY HERO Global Educator Award Winner Melinda Gates

By: Betty Bailey
Melinda Gates' women heroes in Africa and India teach her how to uplift the women in their communities through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Elizabeth Blackwell

By: Victoria Davis
Hero Elizabeth Blackwell was the first woman in the United States to receive a degree as a doctor, and started a women's medical college for women.

Michelle Obama

By: Princess Quinones

Michelle Obama has recently made history as the first African American to become the First Lady of the United States.

Abigail Adams

By: Nashua Haque
First Lady Abigail Adams effectively led the country while President John Adams was an envoy in France, through detailed letters between the two and her own business savvy.

Elizebeth Friedman

By: Sean Tran

Elizebeth Friedman is known as "America's first female cryptanalyist" for her work deciphering codes between Nazi forces during WWII.

Listen & Read Along

The following stories have a link so you can hear the audio as you read. Great for ESL students, visually impaired or blind students.

Dorothy Height

By: Yajahira from Las Vegas

Height was a civil rights/women's rights activist and an ally to the LGBTQ+ community.

Katherine Johnson

By: Kyra from Ankara, Turkey

Her story was hidden for decades: Katherine Johnson plotted multiple flight courses for NASA, including the Apollo 11 spacecraft, the first spaceship to reach the moon.

For Younger Readers, by Younger Readers

Sally Ride

By: Georgia Rowan

"Sally Ride is considered a hero because she has done amazing things, like when she went on the STS-7 mission in 1983."

Susan B. Anthony

By: Libby Huxley
An elementary student talks about her hero, women's suffragist Susan B. Anthony.

Art

First Lady Michelle Obama

By: Amy Sherald

Painted by Amy Sherald, this portrait of the first African-American First Lady Michelle Obama has been exhibited at the Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery since 2018.

Harriet Tubman

By: William H. Johnson
This portrait of abolitionist and activist Harriet Tubman was painted by William H. Johnson in 1945.

Untitled

By: Clementine Hunter
Artwork by artist Clementine Hunter, 1981.

Bessie Coleman

By: Marilyn Huerta

Marilyn Huerta's portrait of Bessie Coleman, who grew up during the time of segregation and was the first black woman to fly around the world. 

Related Pages

Women's Equality Day

By: Becky Miller

Instituted by Rep. Bella Abzug and first established in 1971, the date commemorates the passage of the 19th Amendment, the Woman Suffrage Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which gave U.S. women full voting rights in 1920.

2020 Eva Haller Women Transforming Media Award Winners

By: Xenia Shin
The Eva Haller WTM Award recognizes films telling women's stories. Watch the full-length winning film and excerpts from the awards ceremony .

Links

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 2/27/2019 11:22:55 AM by

Last edited 3/15/2021 4:13:55 AM by Shannon Luders-Manuel