Earthkeepers

Laurie David

by Amanda from San Francisco

Laurie David is a driven environmental activist. She cares about our earth and wants to stop anything harming it. She greatly encourages everyone to care about Global Warming and think before you act. In October 2006 she was featured as a Woman of the Year in Glamour magazine. She received the Grace Allen Award for Individual Achievement by the American Radio and TV for her work against global warming. In 2003, Robert F. Kennedy's organization, Riverbank honored her. Also, for her environmental education to children, she received the Los Angeles-based Children's Nature Institute's Leaf Award. Laurie is the founder of the Detroit Project. In 2004, the NRDC opened the David Family Environmental Action Center. The center promotes activism to protect the environment. It has many exhibits such as issues about global warming, water pollution, everyday toxins, and green building solutions.

Laurie David with her partner, Sheryl Crow

She, teamed up with Sheryl Crow, just had a Stop Global Warming College Tour at the George Washington University in Washington D.C. She is trying to tell everyone to stop global warming and warn them of the consequences by producing many projects. She started the Stop Global Warming Virtual March with John McCain and Robert Kennedy. She has even written books about global warming called Stop Global Warming; The Solution Is You! Also, The Down-To-Earth Guide To Global Warming was written by her and Cambria Gordon. She produced the award winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth, starring Al Gore. She also produced the HBO documentary Too Hot To Not Handle which aired on April 22, 2006. She also appeared in Big Ideas For a Small Planet, a documentary series on the Sundance Channel.

Laurie David pictured here with Larry David

Before she was an environmental activist, she started off as being a talent coordinator for the David Letterman show. Then, she left to start her own management company representing comedians and comedy writers four years later. She then produced several comedies on channels like HBO, SHOWTIME, MTV, and Fox Television. She became the vice president for a comedy development for a division of Fox Broadcasting.

Although Laurie David has many supporters, she is sometimes criticized on her work for the environment. On her interview with The Guardian she stated that having two homes and taking private jets from here to there is at odds with her message. She admitted that yes, she uses private jets for holidays too but she feels very guilty about it. She plans to try to stop and encourages everyone to do the same. But some people still don't agree with her. She was even pictured as #82 on Bernard Goldberg's book, The 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America. But even though criticized, Laurie David still doesn't give up. She keeps spreading her message :)

Welcome to My Hero Project. My hero is Laurie David and this web page will enable you to learn more about her and why I chose her.