Neil Armstrong

by Willy Wang from Nanjing

That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind

My hero is Neil Armstrong. He’s 79 years old now. He lives in Lebanon, Ohio now. Neil Armstrong was born on August 5, 1930.

Neil Armstrong’s first job was a pilot. He earned his pilot license at 16 years old. When he was 20, he was the youngest pilot in his unit. He flew 78 combat missions. His mother told him that space is dangerous and to be careful. But, he was the first man to land on the moon in 1969.

Neil Armstrong has two college degrees. He got his bachelors degree in aerospace engineering from Purdue University. He also has a degree in aeronautical engineering from the University of Southern California. Armstrong was a navy pilot from 1949 to 1952. He worked as a test pilot when he was chosen to be an astronaut. His first space flight was aboard Germany in 1966. In July of 1969, Armstrong was launched aboard Apollo 11. Apollo 11 was America's first attempt to land a manned vehicle on the moon. On July 20, Neil Armstrong became the first person to set foot on the moon. “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” Since leaving NASA he has taught engineering in college and he was also an advisor on space issues, and been involved in business. He is married and has two children. He lives quietly in Ohio.

He’s important to me because I want to be an Astronaut. I want to go and find other earths and help people. He taught me not to give up. I can study hard, read lot of space and astronaut books, and go to university to learn more about space and Astronauts.