Neil Armstrong

by Bailey from Roseville

Neil Armstrong

Neil Armstrong is an amazing hero not only to me but to people all over the United State. In 1969 Neil Armstrong was in command of the Apollo 11 spacecraft mission. This mission was to be the first people to land in the moon and was a great success.

Neil Armstrong was born in Ohio. When he was older he got his pilot license and then became a military pilot. In his free time he studied aeronautical engineering. His studies were put to a stop when he was sent to serve in the Korean War.  When he returned home he went back to college.

After college he was able joined NASA and in later years he faced his biggest mission to walk on the moon. One of his first space missions was Gemini VIII, on this mission he was sent to Earth's orbit to try and dock a vehicle but failed and their mission was ended short. A few years later he was launched on his most valuable mission On July 20th 1969 at 10:56 PM Armstrong made his first step onto the moon and said "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." 

Neil Armstrong is a hero to me because he did what people said was impossible. He proved to me that dreams can come true and not to let people put you down and you can do anything you set your mind to. To me this motivates me to do what I want to when I'm older.