Quinton Barnett

by Emma from Missoula

“Kayaking is freedom to me, so I devote my life to it. In dangerous situations I am able to keep calm. I have been exposed to life and death and am more connected with the world.

Quinton Barnett is not your typical 17 year-old. He has dedicated his life to pursuing his passion: kayaking around the world and exploring unknown rivers. After just four years of training, he finished second in his first international competition, the Nile River Men’s Pro in Uganda. His determination, courage and commitment make him a hero to his family, teachers and peers.

Quinton got involved in the sport relatively late, considering how quickly he has progressed and how advanced he is now. When he was fourteen years old and his mom dropped him off at the launch point with ZooTown Surfers, Quinton was determined not to go. He told her that she “couldn’t make him do it.” They agreed that he would try it once, just to see what it was like.

At the end of the day, Quinton was ecstatic. His coaches called him a natural — he got his roll the first time out. Within a few short weeks, he had passed the safety and skills exams all the way through the intermediate and advanced levels. He had found his passion and seized it. After only a year of boating, Quinton placed 13th nationally in the U.S. team trials.

Quinton says that kayaking has allowed him to see much more of the world and to expand his views. In 2010, he traveled with the World Class Kayak Academy through Zambia and Uganda. His perspective changed as a result. He found the world to be smaller, closer and more tangible. He came back grounded, balanced in his beliefs and values.

As a person of Alaska Native descent, he has always felt connected to nature, but the sport has deepened this relationship. He feels in tune with the river and with himself through kayaking.

Quinton hopes to continue being a mentor and coach to his teammates, and to encourage others to take up the sport. He says, “I want people to know what it is like to be part of a force much greater than them and embrace it.” Quinton has a vision for the future and how he wants to affect the kayaking community. He’s critical in his thinking and a strong communicator. Though his words and his actions, he will inspire others to find the courage within to reach their dreams.

World Class Kayak Academy - A traveling high school for students that want to earn their education while exploring unique rivers and cultures around the world.
Polly Green's Mentor Page - Polly nominated Quinton as a young hero.
Quinton's Short Film as a MY HERO Young Reporter