Sheila Brown

by Eileen from Hastings, New Zealand

Home Gallery (Mrs Forbes)
Home Gallery (Mrs Forbes)

I think a hero is someone who cares about others and helps them in any way they can. That is why my hero is my Great-Aunty Sheila. She is a great supporter of charities, and does a lot to help them. I think she is a hero because she goes the extra mile to help people. She has helped traumatized children find their way back into the world after the Christchurch earthquake in 2010.

Aunty Sheila was born a Paton; she is my Granny's sister. She married Bryson Brown and had three children, Gary, Viv and Rob. Unfortunately, Bryson died from cancer. Every year, Aunty Viv and Aunty Sheila participate in the Relay for Life.

Aunty Sheila has always made little woollen finger puppets. I have some that must date back eight years. She has given them away to charities and schools. Our own school received some. Aunty Viv helps her with the making of them now.

When the Canterbury earthquake struck in September 2010, she was asked by a friend to make and send down fifty puppets for children who had lost their parents or were injured. Both she and Aunty Viv rose to the challenge. They were then asked for one hundred and then more and more. Together, they must have sent over one thousand puppets. One little boy who received a puppet was so traumatized he would not speak to anyone. When he got the puppet, he began to say the colours on the colourful toy. Children have spoken through their puppets and come out of their shells.

Aunty Sheila was in the paper for the kindness she had shown everyone. I have read the letters that people have sent her. I am very lucky to know her and she is definitely my hero.