Susan Marie Medina

by DARBY! from Aurora

Susan Medina is my Godmother and the best Godmother anyone could ever have. I call her "Aunt Suzie". Aunt Suzie is one of the nicest people I have ever known. She is my hero because she is an inspiration to me and to many other people. My Aunt Suzie was born in 1953 and lived a difficult life as a child. Her father was a mean spirited alcoholic and she grew up having to deal with the harsh tempers of many people around her. She and my mom met while working at the local hospital called Loyola and clicked immediately. They have been best friends ever since and that's how she was chosen to be my Godmother. She has been there for me and my family through some of the hardest times we have had, providing us with love, support, and anything we needed.

Aunt Suzie was not just an inspiration to me, but to many people. She volunteered for several organizations the Girl Scout. She was a much loved Brownie Troop leader for many years. She was inspirational to many kids in her role as a Teen Volunteer Program Manager at Loyola Medical Center. She was very dedicated to this job and loved all the kids in the program. She created many education and self defense programs for her kids, and earned a black belt in Karate herself. She also brought safety and drinking and driving programs into the teen volunteer program. One of the best things she ever did for these kids was listen, encourage, and make everyone feel that they could do anything, be anything, and succeed no matter how hard their lives were.

Aunt Suzie developed breast cancer in 2007. We were all terrified. However, she stayed strong and fought hard all the way through chemotherapy, an operation, and radiation. I know Aunt Suzie had a hard experience and must have been afraid but she always stayed upbeat so that she wouldn't worry us or her family. She was in remission for about a year and was doing well, then discovered that the cancer was back and had metastasized to her lungs. She went through a different kind of chemo the second time and her hair grew back. It is short, but is is nice for her to have the hair. She has still been fighting and will do whatever it takes to heal herself. My Godmother never gives up and she has taught me a different kind of strength. This is why she is a hero. She shows all the strength and all the effort without giving up or letting it bring her down. She is strong, loving, and hopeful and always tries to help others around her in treatment.

I admire my Godmother because she has shown me and many other people an endless amount of strength. She, no matter what, is kind and loving. She is always funny and can make anyone laugh. Every time she fights to get better, she teaches me something different. Whether it's a lesson of strength, courage, or kindness, it's always a lesson I could use for the good. She is a hero for showing me all the things I'm capable of. With her example I can be strong no matter how weak I feel, and anyone else can too. She always lets me know how much she loves me and I am so happy that she is my Godmother. And my hero.

Godmothers are incredible angels who help lift our feet when we forget how to fly. They are never ever far away but always really close by. They are someone who about you can boast and they are always there when you need them the most.