Sacagawea

by Stephanie from Aurora

This is a picture of Sacagawea navigating for Lewis and Clark

Sacagawea was believed to be born between 1786-1790. Some sources state Sacagawea was captured by the Hidatsa raiding party to become a part of the tribe or to be a slave. Sources say that she was married at 16, 15, or even 14 to Toussaint Charbonneau, a French-Canadian fur trader. Toussaint was already married to another Shoshone woman at the time he married Sacagawea. Sources say that he had bought them to be slave at first, then he decided that he wanted to marry them instead.

The Lewis and Clark expedition lasted through 1804-1806. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark needed translators for the expedition. They needed the translators because they needed people to talk to other Hidatsa cultured people for trade. To be able to find land for the Louisiana Purchase. Once they got to the Shoshone tribe they wanted one translator but they got two instead. Toussaint and Sacagawea both went on the expedition. When they went on the expedition Sacagawea was already pregnant with Toussaint's child. On February 11, 1805 Sacagawea's baby boy was born. Jean Baptist was born on the expedition to find the Louisiana Purchase. Once they had found the land they all went back to their homes. 6 years after the expedition Sacagawea had died of Diphtheria which wasn't uncommon at the time like it is today.

Sacagawea is my hero because even through she was pregnant she still went on the expedition. She was one of the first women in history to change things to what America is today. And she is also important to me because she had a child on the expedition and she didn't turn back - she went on. She is my hero because she is brave, and bravery is important to me.

Sacagawea,
Helping Lewis and Clark on their expedition,
1804-1806,
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania to the Missouri River,
To find land for the Louisiana Purchase