Sacagawea

by Kezia from Southport

To think, going around America and seeing everything. That's what Sacagawea did, and all with a baby with her! Lewis and Clark knew they couldn't sail down the Mississippi River without this Shoshone Indian! She helped by gathering edible fruits and roots.

Sacagawea is my hero because she is so brave and adventurist, I respect that. At 12 she was captured by Hidasa Indians, her tribe's worst enemy, but still remained calm. Sacagawea was on the Mississippi River and when the boat capsized, she quickly gathered important papers which fell out with her. In addition she had her baby with her, the world's youngest traveler!

A monument of Sacagawea (google)
A monument of Sacagawea (google)

At the age of 25 Sacagawea died on December 22, 1812, of what later medical researchers believed to be a serious illness she had most of her adult life. I felt sorrowful to know that she died so young!

She is my hero because of her persistence to keep going. I mean, she tried and succeeded. I wish to go to Bismark N.D to see the statue of Sacagawea, my hero.

Wikipedia - gives pictures and facts.
At PBS - gives facts in a kid to adult type way.
Biography - gives you a biography on Sacagawea and more.