Sacajawea

by Chloe and Emily from Atglen

Sacajawea riding a horse in the woods.
Sacajawea riding a horse in the woods.

At the age of ten Sacajawea was kidnapped by the Hidasta Indians in Idaho. From there she was won by a French Canadian trader. She became a second wife with him and had a son named Jean Baptiste. We think Sacajawea is a great hero because she led two people, Lewis and Clark who she didn’t even know, on an expedition across the Pacific Ocean and back. She did this because they needed help going across the land and she knew where to go and she was very, very smart.

Drawing of Sacajawea, Lewis, and Clark.
Drawing of Sacajawea, Lewis, and Clark.

When they left she took her baby Jean with her on her back the whole journey. The obstacles they had to overcome were other Indian tribes which was very hard. When they were on their way they met another tribe and they tried to kill Lewis and Clark but thankfully Sacajawea saved them by convincing the other tribe that they were good. Sacajawea later realized that her long lost brother was the tribe’s chief. But she still had to lead Lewis and Clark on the expedition. Later on she died from the birth of her daughter. We will never forget about her, though.

Statue of Sacajawea and her son Jean.
Statue of Sacajawea and her son Jean.

Others said that Sacajawea was a hero because of her bravery and she saved Lewis and Clark from being killed by another tribe. She was considered an Indian princess. Others also say she lived to be 100 years old but truly we don’t know. We believe she is a true hero because from what you just read you probably understand why. Some things we left out were that she had very good sense of direction, and she was good at hunting to find food for the expedition members. That’s why we believe she is a true hero.