Films

Slater Jewell-Kemker

by Chloe from Peterborough

"Be the change you want to see in the world."- Mahatma Gandhi
Peace Mural  (Art Comp)
Peace Mural (Art Comp)

Slater Jewell-Kemker...so enthusiastic about peace it becomes contagious. So infectious that we paint three murals to send to Egypt. Determined not to stop until the world has recognized that something needs to change for a more peaceful way of living. I wouldn’t be surprised if she became a future leader.

Painting Peace (Jocelyn&Slater)<br> (Art Comp)
Painting Peace (Jocelyn&Slater)
(Art Comp)

A hero should be a positive role model and inspire you to do good things in your own life. A hero makes good choices and is willing to take the consequences of her actions.

When Slater and I talk, when it turns to politics or other serious issues, she always inspires me to think more about what I believe in. And what I want the world to be like. She also brings things to my attention, things I would never have realized on my own. She has her own views, but she is respectful and willing to listen to others. Like the time when we were working on a project for school, we got work done, but we had long serious chats between work, brainstorming and planning and discussing things we felt we needed to bring attention to with our film. These were just some of the topics we covered with our group! I feel that since I've known her, I've become more respectful of the people around me and more aware of the issues in the world.

Slater at school
Slater at school

Interview with Slater

What are some things that you have done that YOU feel are accomplishments?

I am very proud of what I have done in filmmaking and songwriting. I feel that I am able to get messages out to people through my music or films, be it social or environmental activism, peace, etc. In late 2006 and 2007, I was a music supervisor on a feature length film that my dad directed, co-wrote and starred in, and my mom produced and acted in. It was an amazing experience that helped me grow as a filmmaker and I was able to make new friends that worked in the film industry. I would have to say that working on a film that involved so many people really inspired me in my choice of what I want to do when I’m older. I just get such a kick out of it… making films is more like ‘fun work’ than a chore. I get a lot of satisfaction from it.

Slater (Computer image)
Slater (Computer image)

Do you have an environmental achievement? If so, what?

Yes. Last year, I won an award from the founder of Earth Day, John McConnell, for my environmental activism in filmmaking. I consider that an achievement because I got a message out to a large group of people that was about saving our environment. And, well…getting an award from the United Nations is pretty cool.

Slater on stage (Arts Cafe)
Slater on stage (Arts Cafe)

What are your goals for the future?

I want to try to learn some editing programs. I also want to try to plant more trees and be more environmentally friendly in my day-to-day life. I would also like to continue being part of a global community…and I want to try to organize some protests. I also want to work for the solutions for a cleaner environment, not just focus on the negative aspects.

The Art Miles Mural Project - A journalism piece by Slater
Peace Begins - A short film produced by Slater
Revenge of the Trees - A short film Slater did with parents and friends
Painting Peace - Another short film produced by Slater
Jean-Michel Cousteau - A journalism piece by Slater

Slater lives on a 200 acre farm in Ontario, Canada with her parents, 2 cats and 1 dog in one house, and her godfather and his 3 cats and 1 dog in the other. There are also four horses and lots of wildlife on the farm. Slater plays the guitar and sings, plays piano and violin.

A hero should be a positive role model, someone who inspires you to be a better person in your own life.