St. Michael the Arkangel

by Matthew from Mankato

St. Michael the Arkangel (C:\Documents and Settings\student\My Documents\My Pictures)

"The question of how many angels could dance on the point of a pin no longer is absurd in molecular physics, with its discovery of how broad that point actually is, and what part invisible electronic 'messengers' play in the dance of life." -Lewis Mumford

Michael appears in Daniel's vision as "the great prince" who defends Israel against its enemies; in the Book of Revelation, he leads God's armies to final victory over the forces of evil.

Devotion to Michael is the oldest angelic devotion, rising in the East in the fourth century. The church in the West began to observe a feast honoring Michael and the angels in the fifth century.

Gabriel also makes an appearance in Daniel's visions, announcing Michael's role in God's plan. His best-known appearance is an encounter with a young Jewish girl named Mary, who consents to bear the Messiah.

Michael's name means "who is like God," first Michael is the Christian angel of death, assisting the soul of each person in its journey after death to heaven for judgment. Second Michael is the special patron and protector of the of the Chosen people of the Old Testament. Third, he is the supreme foe of Satan and the fallen legions, being named specifically in the Book of Revelation as fighting against Satan and coming at the end of the world to command the hosts of the Lord in the final struggle.

Foley, Leonard . Saint of the Day.

Bunson, Matthew. Our Sunday Visitor's Encyclopedia of Saints.