Terry Fox

by Emily from Barrie

I have chosen Terry Fox as my hero because he ran for cancer to earn money to try and find a cure for cancer. What's special about Terry is that he ran with one real leg and one artificial leg. During the Marathon of Hope, he ran the distance of a marathon every day.

Terry Fox was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba on July 28, 1958. His parents are Rolly and Betty Fox. He has an older brother, Fred and a younger brother, Darrell. He also has a sister named Judith.

Terry Fox had a huge obstacle but he didn't let it get in his way. His obstacle was losing his leg to cancer. He ran his marathon for 143 days before he had to stop. When he was running he was in a lot of pain but that never stopped him. A lot of people would have given up but Terry didn't.

Terry Fox has influenced me because he ran for cancer research and now I know more about cancer because of him. I run in the Terry Fox Marathon of Hope every year. Even though he died a long time ago, Terry Fox still influences people in a good way.

Terry Fox shows courage, bravery and helpfulness. He wants to earn money to help people overcome cancer. I think he's a good hero.